91 GC did something strange today

This caravan just had a trans rebuilt about 12K miles ago. Couldn't be running better until this morning. It sat out side all weekend and this morning was in the single digits. Got in started it, waited about

20 seconds and it wouldn't go into reverse! I mean you could shift into reverse but the car would not move. I let it warm up for 15 minutes and everything is fine. Any comments on this?
Reply to
dprkk

My 95 GC SE did that once, a cooler line leaked and the fluid was low. I figure as it warmed up the fluid expanded enough to let the pump get a full column of fluid and allow it to work normally. A quart of +4 and a clamp tightening fixed it.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Nope, no leaks. Full, clean, +3 fluid. It was colder than a biotch this morning (4 or 5F). The cold definitely had something to do with it. Like I mentioned, trans was rebuilt and was running great. This morning was the first time it did this. After warm up and for the rest of the day, no problem at all.

Reply to
dprkk
3-speed or 4-speed automatic? My old 92 with the 3-speed used to do that occasionally, but it was going into drive (I always backed in and pulled out in the morning). When it would do it, if I put it into neutral or park and revved the engine a few times, let it come back to idle and put it in gear, it would then grab gear immediately. It did it more frequently in its later years (nearing 200k miles), but I might be able to count with both hands full of fingers the number of times it did it. Always on a cool morning start though...

At 204k the transmission bit the dust...it's in the driveway with a for sale sign...and basically no interested buyers. I'd still love to fix it if I could justify the $1300 rebuild cost...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley