91 LeBaron 3.0V6 fault code 22?

Hello:

My 1991 LeBaron is having an issue where the Check Engine Light will come on evrey 5th, or 6th HOT start. It never comes on on a cold start, and only ever so often will it come on after a HOT start.

Codes are 12, 22, 55.

The car has 97K miles, and all sensors are orignal (except 02 sensor).

I have noticed also that WARM idle seems rough on occasion. This car has spoiled me as silky smooth at idle since new, so I have noticed the rough idle immediately.

No other issues; thermostat is working well (and is less than 2 years old), no over heating, great MPG (23 in the city).

So, should I just change out the coolant temp sensor? I assume it is a cheap enough part to try as a first step.

Thanks for any advice!

Bill

Reply to
billccm

The fault code, # 22, indicates a problem with the coolant temp sensor. The first thing to do is check the connector to that sensor to make sure it is clean and tight. If you don't see anything obvious I would go ahead and replace the sensor. The coolant temp sensor you are looking for is for the computer and is not the one that runs the temp guage in the dash.

Reply to
Mike

It is a coolant sensor fault and the cheapest guess would be to replac the coolant temp sensor and check for agood connection. Whe the sensor detects a fault it puts the controller into a default setting that turns the raditor fan on annd the timing is not controlled by the computer. it goes into a default 12 degree advance only and will cause the engine to run bad.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

-- Message posted using

information at

damnnickname