92 acclaim heat problem

I have a 1992 plymouth acclaim that I just picked up used. I don't know much about the car yet, but my problem began recently.

The heater inside the car worked intermittently (blower). I would drive and it would blow for a minute then shut off, or stay on, or not blow at all. Sometimes it would just give me a quick second blow, and be off for the entire trip, it was very random.

The blower doesn't work at all now, but when I drive on the highway, I get enough heat (I assume just off the engine) to defrost the driver window, and give a little heat to the car.

Would I be correct in assuming that the Heater and Air conditioner Blower Motor needs to be replaced to fix this? Thank-you for your time.

Rich E

Reply to
Rich_E

Not necessarily. It could easily be the blower switch or the blower motor resistor. Or, yes, it could be a faulty motor. The best thing to do is to diagnose it properly -- test the motor, test the switch and test the resistor block -- to make sure you don't waste money on unneeded parts and labor.

The heat you get without the blower is not "off the engine" -- it's due to the forward motion of the car pushing some air through the heater and into the car.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern