94 Spirit/K-Body Longevity

Hello, I was wondering what peoples life expierences have been with the longevity of these vehicles and the 3.0L engine. I have a '94 Spirit that the Wife drives, with our child, it has

178,000mi on it, and is still running pretty good. I have rebuilt the 41TE transaxle twice, but that is another story (I got that job down to 12 hours and about $350 in parts). It has the 3.0L engine. It's starting to blow/burn oil a little. How many miles is this 3.0L good til? The engine is still failry responsive and still gets around 28mpg on the hwy. I bought the car brand new in '94 and have maintained it well. I've only replaced the transaxle, radiator, ball joints, tie-rod-ends (Excellent Michigan roads!), struts/shocks, and fixed a leak in the AC system, other than that, no problems. I'm just getting concerend with the amount of miles. Just wondering how many miles people get out of these things before have to declare them unreliable.

Ken

Reply to
73blazer

First off, it's not a "K-Body". The '89-'95 Spirit, '89-'95 Acclaim and '90-'94 LeBaron sedan are the AA-body cars. Derived from the original K-car, yes, but not a "K-body".

The AA-bodies are extremely durable and are widely considered to be latter-day Darts and Valiants.

Generally about as durable as the 2.5 litre Chrysler 4-cylinder, but it will have more problems along the way. The top-end oiling and crankcase ventillation systems aren't engineered as well as they should have been, so they tend to be problem areas. The most infamous of the 3.0 problems (valve guides dropping causing oil burning) was fixed from the factory in early '93-model production with the addition of circlips to hold the guides where they belong, and most 3.0s have been field-retrofitted by now. However, the crankcase ventillation system *must* be maintained fastidiously -- it contains hoses and passages that are more than ordinarily clog-prone. Also, the valve stem seals tend to harden up and stop sealing after awhile. Both of these can cause oil burning.

Other than that, no real problem areas.

Wait, you have a '94 Spirit with a 41TE? That's weird. Most '93-'95 AA-bodies with the 3.0 engine got the 31TH (A670). The 41TE (A604) was used exclusively with the 3.0 in AA-bodies from '89-'92, and some '93s got it.

Your particular 3.0 is good until it's bad. There's no reason to think it's about to grenade just because it has "x" hundred thousand miles on it.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thank you very much for your response. It does indeed have a 41TE transaxle. No doubt about it, I've taken it out and rebuilt it twice, with help. And since I owned the car since new, there's no chance of a swap. I ordered the car, I checked the 4speed automatic option, the other option I specifically wanted, which appently is very odd, which I have had a hard time finding parts for, is the rear disc brakes. (I've had to order pads, no one around here carried them in stock, not even the dealer, and when I ordered them it took 5 weeks because the warehouse didn't stock them either..) and according to my research, for that year, all 4speed autos were the infamous 41TE. I know technically they are not K-bodies, but then again, they are the evolution of the k-body, as you mention. I have maintained all the crankcase ventilation pieces at, what I would call, decent intervals for those pieces, (40,000mi, but from waht you say that may not have been enough), but I've never replaced any of the external hoses for that system. I'll have to check on that when the wife gets back today...could it be the source of the sudden oil burning. The oil burning thing came on kinda of suddenly, one week, nothing, all of a sudden, it was noticable (There's a slight blue tinge to the exhaust when you rev it in park)

Thanks aga> >

Reply to
73blazer

Arrrgh! You coulda had the much more robust 3-speed...

If they're the large brakes that require the 15" wheels because the 14" wheels don't fit over them, they're quite good brakes. I had them on my '91 Spirit R/T. You shouldn't have problems getting pads for them -- these brakes were also used on many other Chrysler products, primarily minivans. Check your local NAPA. If no listing for '94 Spirit rear disc brakes, use '92 Spirit.

Nope, see previous post.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern