93 3.0 V-6 GRAND CARAVAN ENGINE OIL LEAKS--IS THIS NORMAL ??

The side of the engine where the starter is located sure is wet with oil--is this typical? Van has 116,000 miles on it. Any suggestions as to where the leak may be coming from and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
septicman

The 3.0V6 is known for it's oil leaks. I am surprised at this mileage you are just discovering oil leaks with this motor. Most of the time, it is valve cover leaks, but cam seals also can fail and cause massive oil leaks. My experience is about every 40K miles I need to do the valve covers, and every 80K miles cam seals. Expect this to be a $300 repair if cam seals are involved.

Good Luck,

Bill snipped-for-privacy@pe> The side of the engine where the starter is located sure is wet with

Reply to
billccm

These engines are also known for leaky valve guide oil seals, and valve guides that sink into the combustion chamber. I don't when the fixes where finally put into production. I would suggest checking allpar.com.

-KM

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Used to have a 3.0 in a 94 Acclaim. The thing PUKED oil at 138,000 kms. So bad it was "Fill the oil, check the gas". Got rid of the thing almost 4 years ago and you can STILL see the oil stain in my parking spot at work.

I got rid of the thing rather than put a single penny into such a badly designed engine. Every penny you save from enhanced performance and gas milage will be lost in maintenance of the damn thing.

So, yeah, oil leaks are quite normal on this engine! :(

The best way to find the leaks is to:

1) Have the Engine Shampooed (top AND bottom) 2) Have an oil change done, and have them put a UV tracer in the oil. 3) Drive it for a week, then take it to the shop. They will shine a UV light on it, and ALL the oil leaks will be clearly visible.

You can then get an estimate of what each one will cost, and will be able to prioritize in terms of your budget.

Or you can push it over a cliff, and buy a Van with the 3.3 or 3.8 >The side of the engine where the starter is located sure is wet with

Reply to
NewMan

And a spare tranny or two? ;)

Reply to