93 Caravan A/C evaporator core replacement.

Greetings:

I have a 1993 Grand Caravan that's in need of a new main evaporator core.

I looked up how to do the job at

and the instructions seem pretty clear. The flat rate for the job is 5.6 hours with a console.

What I'd like to know if if anybody here has taken on such a task. I'd like to ask if the job is as daunting as it appears [or worse]. Or perhaps somebody knows of some shortcuts, if any exist.

It is my understanding that the evaporators are prone to leaking and the oil left behind can cause considerable dirt build-up that can also reduce your heat output. Are any of the A/C "stop-leak" goops out there any good or do they do more harm than good?

Are there any cleaners out there that can be "sprayed" into the recirculate air intake that can wash out the dirt and oil build-up? My admittedly poor memory seems to recall a service bulletin to such an effect. Something originally to do with mould and mildew, perhaps?

Opus-