94 Intrepid 3.5L spark plugs - aarghhh

A couple silicone rubber boots stuck to the plugs when I pulled the plug wires out. What a pain to dig them out. Now there are 2 connections that do not have these silicone boots that fit directly over the plugs. The protective boots on top of the plug hole are still intact. Will there be a problem if I use the 2 wires that no longer have the silicone boots? Thanks.

Reply to
Hmmm...

Yes; the first time you drive on a wet day, your engine is very likely to start misfiring on those cylinders. Go ahead and replace the plug wires; they're probably overdue by now.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It'll probably arc from the bare wire to the metal tube that the plug sits in, causing a misfire. Get new plug wires.

Reply to
Steve

Would you recommend spraying some silicone on the plug or the rubber boot to prevent sticking to the spark plug?

Reply to
Hmmm...

Yeah, that or -- better -- some dielectric silicone grease.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Just twisting and pulling instead of just pulling often saves the day. I learned this the hard way on my Cruiser.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I twisted and pulled. 2 of the rubber boots stuck to the plug. Thanks for your idea anyway.

Reply to
Hmmm...

The silicone grease will prevent that problem in the future. Should be standard practice when replacing the igniton cables.

Bill Putney