95 Cirrus blown 2 #8 (ign,fuel,starter)fuses in one week

Its a 20 Amp fuse under the hood. Other than this the car has been great. Now I am afraid to take it anywhere. Does anyone have any idea on what to fix? Thanks Dave

Reply to
dave

More then likely the starter is causing the problem. keep spare fuses with you. But sooner or later the fuses will not allow the starter to engage

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

"maxpower" wrote in news:xcCdndAu2ehYVw_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks for the reply Glenn I probably should have given more detail. It happens as soon as the ignition key is turned on. The starter never gets to even try and I don't hear the fuel pump start up. Not even a click of anything trying, just the daytime headlights come on. Its almost as though the fuse blew just as I shut it off the night before. In your opinion is the starter still the most likely suspect? Thanks Dave

Reply to
dave

Chrysler made it very difficult for us to check this particular problem out because they put fuel, spark, PCM and starter on the same circuit, protected by the same fuse. You need to make sure that the fuse blows only when you turn the key on and not while you try to crank it. when you go to start the vehicle, turn the key to the run position and look at the fuse, if it is ok, then go to crank. If the fuse pops while going to the crank position the starter is normally at fault. The fact that the fuse only blows when you go to start it and does not happen as you drive it also tells me the starter is at fault. If the PCM, Fuel Pump or ASD was the problem the fuse would pop as you are driving and cut out. I believe this isn't your case correct?

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

"maxpower" wrote in news:H-adnT-iT49Yng7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thats right Glenn. I ran the test as you described and the fuse blows when I turn the key to the cranking position. Thanks again for your help. Dave

Reply to
dave

"dave" schreef in bericht news:Xns98A6923CCE011dave5021hotmailcom@63.218.45.254...

Hello Dave,

I had the same problem with my Cirrus 1995. (Stratus in Holland) I took of the starter and I saw that the maincable made bad contact to the starter. (some rust) I cleaned everything and put everything together.I had never problems anymore.

Hennie.

Reply to
Hennie

"Hennie" wrote in news:45964122$0$70117$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.nl:

Thanks for the reply Hennie. I had to tow it to the shop last Thursday.... don't know yet what they found Dave

Reply to
dave

"dave" schreef in bericht news:Xns98AAC1CCE7116dave5021hotmailcom@63.218.45.252...

Please let us know what was wrong with your car.

Hennie.

Reply to
Hennie

"Hennie" wrote in news:45995dcd$0$24647$dbd4d001 @news.wanadoo.nl:

Finally got the Cirrus back yesterday. (I didn't need it rushed!) My mechanic replaced the starter and so far all is fine.

Thanks for the help Dave

Reply to
dave