95 intrepid-parking brake light wont go off

my parking brake light has been on for the past 2 days...before it was just when i pushed on the brakes and it would turn off when i started
to accelerate but now it is on constantly....i tried pulling the brake up but its not doing anything....what could possibly be the problem?
Thread archive:
chill13 wrote:

Checked the brake fluid level?
--
Bill Putney
i just had my brake line replaced..they put fluid in it and i had put fluid in it before i took it in soo ill check tomorrow morning
"Bill Putney" wrote: > chill13 wrote:
> > my parking brake light has been on for the past 2 > days...before it was > > just when i pushed on the brakes and it would turn off when > i started > > to accelerate but now it is on constantly....i tried pulling > the brake > > up but its not doing anything....what could possibly be the > problem? > > Checked the brake fluid level? > > -- > Bill Putney > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet > in my > address with the letter 'x')
FYI: That "parking" brake light could be signifying a major problem with your brakes. If the fluid in the reservoir is too low, if there is no brake pad material left, if there is air in the hydraulic system, if one of the brake lines, or if a caliper/cylinder is leaking under pressure, then the brake pedal will travel too far down and trigger the indicator light. This is to let you know your brake system needs servicing.
Continuing to drive this vehicle is basically risking the brakes giving out and your having an accident.
Bob
PS It also could be a parking brake indicator as you state, but if it went on after applying the brakes and if you have pulled up on the parking brake and it is physically at the top, then I'd put my money on your brakes needing service very badly.

http://www.AutoBoardz.com/95-intrepid-parking-brake-light-wont-ftopict249679.html

There are a variety of possible actual causes (leaks, dragging....), but what's happened is you've got a real imbalance in how much pressure is being applied to the front vs. the back brakes. It needs to go to a brake shop *now*.