96 chrysler LHS tight steering

Just replaced the right inner tie rod end and the steering rack mounting bushings. Steering is now stiff, it was effortless before [but sloppy]. Can't figure why it got hard. I know some Chryslers have speed sensitive steering, could I have loosened a wire. Had front end aligned and checked, mech said it looked ok. Any suggestions. Help !!!!!!

Reply to
LAWRENCE PERFETTO

Coincidentally, I just replaced both inner tie rod bushings on my 2nd gen. Concorde yesterday (same steering hardware as the first gen. LH's).

At the risk of stating the obvious, I would say that either (1) Something made the power assist stop working (low fluid, belt slipping or missing), or (2) Something is mechanically binding in, at, or near the steering gear.

Related to item (2), there is a concentric part that goes between the inner tie rod and the steering gear linear actuator - the inner tie rod bolts have to go thru that concentric piece (it is visibly hidden by the rubber bellows that covers everything except the tie rod and its bolt head - if it's possible to attach the tie rods to the steering gear with that concentric piece out of place, that could bind things up).

If it is related to the speed-senstive steering, I don't know enough about that to comment - will leave that to someone else regarding that possibility.

Bill Putney