96 Stratus-Banging when starting and stoping/slowing

I'm having a new noise recently. It's a banging/loud clunk when I start or when I let off the gas and the weight shifts forward. It feels like its coming from right under my feet on the driver's side.

The most recent work I had done was a new real main seal and a new clutch installed. I'm wondering if something wasn't tightened properly and that's the source of the noise.

FWIW, the car drives fine, there is no noise when I turn the steering wheel.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Reply to
JL

Is it the engine backfiring through the exhaust or is it a mechanical clunking? Your description does not make this clear.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Sounds like a bad or incompletely installed (engine or motor was recently pulled) motor/tranny mount. If that's not it, check suspension parts. But since you had recent work done that would involve the mounts, that's where the suspicion is. If you open the hood and watch the engine while someone guns it in gear with foot firmly on the brake, you should see the engine move a bit - that would be what you're hearing and feeling.

Take it back to the shop that did the work and let them handle it if you feel it was a mistake and not general incompetence.

Bill Putney