'96 Town & Country sway bar "clunk"

Replaced struts, links, bushings, outer tie rod ends,... and STILL have an annoying clunk when driving down the road. Any known solutions?

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin Bootz

I believe on the T&C, the engine cradle attaches to the frame with a set of four bushing sets that can wear out at higher mileage - can be a bit of parts and labor cost to have them replaced, so not something you want to try unless it's really needed. Also, I've heard of aftermarket struts on some vehicles not fully tightening to the bearing/mount at the top with the nut fully seated - sometimes a washer needs to be added under the nut to take up the space - but if you're hearing the same noise that you were hearing before replacing the struts, that's probably not the problem.

Bill Putney

Also assuming the noise is coming from the front end, were the strut bearing plates replaced too, or just the struts themselves? (Just a thought ... I would have put money on the sway bar links.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

"Kevin Bootz" wrote in news:psydnVR2y6nZdEPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sway-bar bushings are a common cause. Did you replace them with the other hardware? I have a 2002 with 100k on it and a new set of bushing in the glove box -- just waiting for some time to raise it up and change em out.

Reply to
Steph

Bushings - yes. My 2002 S10 Crew Cab LS has the same annoying clunk. Chevy Dealership TSB fix is to put additional shims(washers) in to increase the clearance under torsion - same engineer? I just want to make sure this is something "normal" when driving the G-Kids around.

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin Bootz

Bob, Bearing plates(?) weren't replaced.

Bill, Are these the same bushings that are in the cradle attached with 10 155 ft-lb bolts? Not replaced either way - didn't think to check there.

Thanks to all

Reply to
Kevin Bootz