97 Intrepid rear wheel removal

Hi, Doing brakes on 97 Intrepid and am unable to get the rear wheels off. Have heard they can pose a problem and wondered if any body has a solution or fix.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Reply to
JAS H SMITH

If you are referring to the wheel lug nuts, then it sounds like whatever idiot tightened them down had the air impact lug wrench set to maximum torque. I believe they should be around 95 or 100 foot pounds which would still take a pretty good force to break free, but if they are up to 150 or more, then it will likely require an impact wrench or a very long breaker bar to give sufficient leverage. make sure you use a good socket so that you do not round off the lug nuts!

Thanks in advance

Jim

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I assume you mean the aluminum wheels? with the lugs off they are stuck to the hubs? The only way to get them loose is to beat the tires with a mallet, make sure that you clean all the debris off the wheel and the hub before mounting

Thanks in advance

Jim

Reply to
maxpower