97 voyager pcm question

any of you guys know if the pcm on a 97 my 3.3 voyager/caravan has some form of impact sensor installed. customer has been trying to locate cause of intermittent cutting out and has noticed that if he gives the PCM a sharp tap then the engine cuts .

Reply to
newrebel

I don't know the answer to your question, but it is likely a defective pc board - broken trace or surface mount component popped loose making intermittent contact when jiggled.

Bill Putney

Nope, no impact sensor. It sounds like he has a bad PCM.

Reply to
Mike

The heat sink in the PCM is bad making the engine cut off, replacing the PCM is the only way to correct the problem.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

the pcm on a 97 my 3.3 voyager/caravan has some

If one buys a PCM from the dealer, are they new or reconditioned? I remember you mentioning that sometimes these units get cleaned up and resold, without the problems being resolved.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

if the pcm on a 97 my 3.3 voyager/caravan has some

You cannot get a new PCM for that vehicle. Chrysler Does NOT reman these units, It is a aftermarket company that that does this and puts them back out on the market,I will say that I have not had a problem in awhile with installing one nor have I heard of any problems from anyone installing them. It is possible that the company that has been doing the repairs have tightened up and got their act together or maybe Chrysler is using another company to get these units from. You would be surprised of how many "reman" products get cleaned up, painted and sold as a good part get put back out on the market. Alternators, starters, a/c compressors....There are several parts supplies out there that I would never purchase such an item from

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Half shafts...