98 Chrysler T&C transmission died

I have the 4 speed auto and when I shift it into any gear it does not go anywhere. Van has 166,000 mi on it and is the original transmission. The fluid level is good and does not smell burnt. I have only used Mopar ATF+4 fluid and have done regular fluid and filter changes. Has anyone experienced similar problems? What was your repair bill? Thanks Grey-hound.

Reply to
Grey-hound

166,000 on the original transmission is very good. I am guessing that your diligence in keeping the fluid fresh, and using ATF+4 made the difference. However, the effects of normal wear cannot be stopped altogether.

That's probably about as good as the 1960's era Chrysler transmissions did.

My 1993 did the same thing at 95,000 miles. A full rebuild was necessary. The cost came in at $2200, which included all new mounts, an updated TCM, and some internal parts in the planetary gear section. The cost exceeded the value of the vehicle, but was still cheaper that buying a new or used one.

I would suggest taking it to a reputable transmission shop that has the proper scan tool with the latest updates as a starting point. Don't bother with a shop that only does a *test drive* to diagnose it.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

About $3000 for a Chrysler remanufactured transmission with 36month/36000 mile warranty, including torque converter.

Reply to
SRN

You have a broken gear, probably several broken gears. Teardown and rebuild time.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt