98 Town and Country starting problems

I have a 98 Town and Country LXi minivan that has an intermittent starting problem. It will start and then immediatly die three times. On the fourth try it will not turn over at all. Also many of the dash lights will not come on. If I wait a day, it will usually start and have no problems for a week or so. It has been to the Chrysler dealer four times now and they can't find the problem because often it will start when they get around to looking at it. Does anyone have leads on what the problem is? Thanks.

Reply to
robingates

Wait a day, and the fifth time they should be able to fix it.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

How old is your battery???

Lots of weird behaviour is associated with an intermittent short in one of the battery cells.

Also, check the ground c>I have a 98 Town and Country LXi minivan that has an intermittent

Reply to
NewMan

Had a similar problem. Had a "Pop" sound while cranking and the entire electric system went dead. Thought I had some how grounded the starter cable. Nothing found. tried jumping nothing. Next day it jumped fine. About ten starts later dead system. Next day jumps fine. And again. This time I wiggled the wires and it started. After going through this for a month chasing wire after wire, I put the car on a crank tester putting a 100 Amp load and started cranking. I received 12 volts, 12, 12, 12, 12, 4, 8, 10, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 2, 4,

8, 12, and so on. Found out one of the plates in the battery had buckled causing an internal short in the battery. Next time try turning on the headlights and see if they come on while it won't crank. If the lights are off/very dim it might be a bad battery.
Reply to
OrigDirtyOldMan