99 300M Very Rough Idle (almost dying) on Startup

My 99 300M 3.5L V6 for the past few months has occasionally (2 times out of

30 or so start-ups in a normal week) has a Rough Idle on startups. Doesn't happen every time...but when it does happen, it can be felt through the whole car as a fairly rough running engine.

Today I went on a trip, car sat for about 25 minutes..I get back in and start it and it's running horrible. It's like it's on 2 cylinders...I gave it some gas and it just spitted and sputtered and eventually revved up, but never died..after about 10 seconds it cleared up. I backed out of the drive and it started to hesitate a little as I took off and then didn't do it the rest of the way home.

No check engine lights came on or anything..I'm not sure where to start on this one...Like I said this is the first time that it actually sounded like it might have actually died but didn't..other times have just been a rough idle that smoothed out over a few seconds.

Any Ideas on what to look for?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Moparmaniac

It could be a fuel injector leaking down causing a really rich mixture. Or just a secondary misfire be it from a plug or coil pack breaking down. A scan tool would be needed to see what is going on when this occurs.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

It could be a fuel injector leaking down causing a really rich mixture. Or just a secondary misfire be it from a plug or coil pack breaking down. A scan tool would be needed to see what is going on when this occurs.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

If there's no check-engine light, then what would a scan tool show?

If the car's computer throws a code to the scan tool, then won't it also set the check-engine light at the same time?

How much rough idling or rough running does the engine have to do before it sets the check-engine light?

Reply to
MoPar Man

A scan tool will show alot, it will show adaptive fuel cells to see if the problem is caused by a rich or lean condition. Depending on what the fault code set requirements are it may not set a fault code. A scan tool will show a secondary indicator ( that is when a fault is trying to set but just happens to fast to set a hard fault) . Also if the adaptive numerators have been lost a cylinder misfire code will never set until those adaptives are relearned. One reason why you DO NOT do a battery disconnect to make a problem go away.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Oh that hurt!! :)

Bill Putney

Being this is an intermittent issue, is this something that I should wait on taking to the shop until, it's a more consistent issue to guarantee they'll find the problem. Or do you guy think it's bad enough now that they can catch it?

Right now, it seems to be a crap shoot whether or not it happens..but it does happen at least once a week..just never know when.

Mike

Reply to
Moparmaniac

If it were me, I'd assume a leaky injector like Glenn mentioned, and run Techron? or Sea Foam thru a couple of tankfuls of gas. It won't hurt anything, and there's a good chance of it clearing up (we see it all the time on the 300M and Dodge Intrepid forums).

If your spark plugs have more than 60k miles on them, I'd replace them

*now* (I don't care that the manual says they are good for 100k miles). Use the Champions they list as the OEM replacement.

I'd also use a fuel-injector-safe throttle body cleaner (involves pulling intake elbow off the throttle body - follow the directions on the can).

Bill Putney

Sorry Bill no intent!!

Reply to
maxpower