99 ply voyager transmission problems

I am looking for any input on the transmission in my 99 voyager (68000 miles) with a 2.4L Inline 4, 3 speed engine. The gears started acting up, i took it in for a radiator and transmission flush. They pulled the trans dipstick and it was a milky pink color. Opened the radiator-same milky pink color. they said that moisutre was getting in somewhere also-no leaks found. They said it looked like radiator was cracked. Took it it to get fixed-new radiator (was cracked) and both coolent and trans flushed 2x. A few days later trans started acting up. opened hood, pulled trans dipstick out, back to cloudy color. Opened the plastic coolent container-very dirty. opened actual radiator-was green and clean but noticed dots of red trans fluid floating. Neigbor had me turn on van and run and he told me that it coolent wasnt turning like is should. Any help or input-the radiator and flushes where done by a mechanic friend of a friend and dont want to go back to them but dont want to get taken for a ride either.

Reply to
jennifer Stevenson via CarKB.com

I am looking for any input on the transmission in my 99 voyager (68000 miles) with a 2.4L Inline 4, 3 speed engine. The gears started acting up, i took it in for a radiator and transmission flush. They pulled the trans dipstick and it was a milky pink color. Opened the radiator-same milky pink color. they said that moisutre was getting in somewhere-no leaks found. They said it looked like radiator was cracked. Took it it to get fixed-new radiator (was cracked) and both coolent and trans flushed 2x. A few days later trans started acting up. opened hood, pulled trans dipstick out, back to cloudy color. Opened the plastic coolent container-very dirty. opened actual radiator-was green and clean but noticed dots of red trans fluid floating. Neigbor had me turn on van and run and he told me that it coolent wasnt turning like is should. Any help or in put-the radiator and flushes where done by a mechanic friend of a friend and dont want to go back to them but dont want to get taken for a ride either.

Reply to
jenns1120

Most automatic transmissions circulate oil through a pipe in the bottom of the radiator to cool the oil. It sounds like this could have a leak inside the radiator allowing the transmission fluid and water to mix. This should not be too hard to test by disconnecting the the transmission oil connections and pressurizing the oil pipe in the radiator. If bubbles appear in the water, then you need to replace the radiator and flush the transmission again.

Until the engine is hot enough to open the thermostat, not much water flows in the radiator. When it is that hot, the water in the radiator and engine can flash into steam and cause serious injury.

My guess is about $350-$450 at a shop for a reconditioned radiator and transmission flush. Dealer service or new radiator will cost more. In my opinion, this could only be a defect. Good luck

Reply to
heydave

There's no way to get all that material totally out, so it's hard to say whether you have a leak still, or whether you're seeing effects of the old leak. I'm guessing the latter, which is good, but I don't know any easy way to flush your transmission better. If you want to be sure, you can isolate the tranny and the coolant so they can't touch. You can ditch your water-cooled transmission cooler and replace it with an air-cooled one. Those cost about $50 or $100 dollars, and they're very common. You should be able to get one at any auto parts store, even a lousy one.

Reply to
Joe