99 Voyager Transmission/Selenoid Problems

My 99 Plymouth Voyager started having problems the other day with the transmission (or I think it's the transmission) It drove fine until it should have gone into 3rd gear but stayed in 2nd the whole ride. the MPH needle stayed on zero although I was doing about 25 MPH. But when it did shift from 1st to 2nd the mph needle on the dash, zipped from zero to 120 (the max on the dash) then back to zero again, although the engine didnt do anything other than switch to 2nd gear. Also, I had about 3/4 of a tank of gas and the needle started reading that it was full. My friend says its a selenoid sensor but my mechanic, who agrees its the selenoid sensor, says to get to those sensors, he has to open up the transmission, b/c those sensors are inside the transmission. I've never heard of anything electrical, such as sensors, being inside of a transmission so I am hesitant to have my mechanic do the job just yet until I hear from anyone out there that might know a little more about this or have some experience with this situation. the job will be quite expensive so if anyone has any advice on what I can do, please let me know. I appreciate any help offered. The engine is a 3.3 litre, V6, transmission is automatic.

Reply to
VigorGirl

Get your vehicle out of that shop and have the output speed sensor replaced, a job you can do that would take 10 minutes to do and cost less then 50 bucks.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Direct and to the point, good job of answering.

Are not the solenoids, themselves, inside the transmission, assuming they really needed to be replaced? That's around $1000 with labor?

I might add that electronic transmissions, assuming this is one, are complex compared to other transmissions. Once you have to open it up and start a repair/rebuild, I have not heard of many regular mechanics or even transmission mechanics who can do that well. At that point, once it has to be worked on inside, I might just want to consider a tranny from Chrysler if it's a problematic tranny. A good mechanic said that he would not bother to rebuild his own, just get a remanufactured directly from Chrysler, too many parts, like seals, etc., to replace in a rebuild and can be missed. Any comments? The price of reman'd trannies appear to be going up, from $1200 to $1600 to $1800, last time I looked.

Reply to
Treeline

Even the trans solonoid pack is mounted externally, and you are right, Its about 1700-1800 bucks for a reman, but it does come with a 3/36 warranty, if it fails any where take it to the nearest dealer Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

But would not Chrysler also have to put the reman in to be able to go to any dealer? What happens in this case? An independent shop buys the reman and puts it in. Something goes wrong with the tranny. What then? Do they take the car to Chrysler or are they obligated to physically take out the tranny and present it as a failed part? I would guess they must take out the part. What's your experience? It's rare that someone just buys the tranny alone? Must be awfully heavy...

Reply to
Treeline

It happens alot, and the dealer has to install it under warranty.BUT!!! if you do not have a reciept showing that the system was flushed out, this includes the lines and the radiator cooler.. chances are it will not be covered. And alot of times that is the cause of the failure of the second unit, at least thats what they tell us.