99'T&C no cruise and airbag light stays on

On my 1999 T & C 3.8L the cruise control stopped working, (the cruise control on/off switch will not get a cruise on indication on the dash panel) within a few hours of that happening, the airbag light came on and stayed on.

Brakes light switch seems to be working, and I am getting no diagnostic code indication when I go through the cycle to get the blinking light indication.

No fuses seem to be bad.

Any theories? Could the two be related? Would it be worth it to pull the steering wheel air bag module and look for something electrical wrong inside? My all but useless Haynes manual is especially useless in the area of Airbag diagnostics.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Sounds like a classic case of a bad clock spring. The clock spring provides the electrical connections for the column air bag, and the cruise control switches. I believe there was a recall for this.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

call your local dealer Frank and give them your VIN number,there is a recall out for that and your vehicle may apply. that recall if it applies to you, is a warranty(free) recall for the life of the vehicle.

Reply to
TNKEV

Thanks, Gentlemen, for the advice. I went to the files and found the clockspring recall letter. (mine fell into the category, higher mileage, fix only on failure). I've made an appointment at the dealer to have it replaced.

Your posts kept me from do>

Reply to
Frank Boettcher