Advice needed on tires and service

About 18 months ago I purchased 4 new Aquatred 3 tires from a local Chrysler dealer for my '98 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3. It had about

75,000 miles.

About 12 months ago I seemed to be having tire vibration issues. I brought it in and they replaced the front axle, CV joints, and did an alignment.

About 6 months ago it had tires rotated. At that time they noticed that one of the CV joints and boots needed replacing, and the sway bar linkages needed to be replaced. I didn't have the work done at the time because I didn't feel this was true.

Two weeks ago I bought it to a mechanic I've had work on my other vehicles for a brake job, and to ask about the continued vibration, which is getting worse. He found that the front left strut is going bad, and all four tires are badly scalloped and need replacing. I asked him about the CV boot and the linkages, and he said they looked fine.

I had another mechanic look at the vehicle and he confirmed the bad scalloping, and also confirmed one strut going bad but no other problems.

I brought it down to the dealer yesterday to have them give me a feel on how the warranty would be treated for the tires, since at this point they have 27,000 miles on them and need replacing. Here is their finding:

Both front struts are leaking. One rear shock needs replacing. Sway bar linkages are totally worn and need replacing. All four tires are at over 50lbs pressure which immediately voids warranty on the tires. Charging me either $41 for the diagnosis, or around $1300 for all the work needed including four new tires they'll offer me at a "discount."

The funny thing is, I checked the pressure in the two front tires before I brought it down and they were at 38Lbs, which is just a little over the 35lbs recommended.

Thoughts? Opinions? I knew they would fight, but I didn't realize they'd be so aggressive. I'll be interested to see how pumped up my tires look when I pick it up tonight. I'll also see what kind of a stink they put up when I refuse to pay them the diagnostic charge.

Reply to
E. Johnson

karl davis