Re: Cirrus Hood Rust - Followup

Well, the local Chrysler dealer has a very narrow definition of 'rust' -- if it has not penetrated through to the top surface they are not going to do anything -- and so the warranty is just so much paper. Too bad, guess its the rustoleum soak technique, as replacing the hood is not in my budget this week.

In the end, it is clearly a fault caused by slovenly processing in the factory, since the right hand side of the foldover was not sealed, is gaping open about 2mm. If I had pointed out the gap earlier, as I did with my disintegrating driver door weather seal, it would have been a shrug, what do you expect us to do about it kind of attitude. The net result is that while the engineering quality is pretty good, this otherwise very nice little car will end up looking pretty scarred. Too bad, I would not have minded paying for a more proactive approach to car maintenance.

>Doesn't that warranty only cover rust-THROUGH of the metal body panels, not > >surface rust? > > Yes, but, they typically rust through the inner lip of the hood. You don't see > it from the outside, for quite awhile anyway, but when opening the hood/door > you will find that water was trapped in the fold of sheetmetal causing it to > rust. > When I worked at a Chrysler dealer we did alot of rust repairs on Rams, Neons, > and the occasional Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze body cars. > > Our body shop manager used to do his best to get the job approved when business > was slow. It kept his workers busy and him making money. > > Good luck, > Jeff C.
Reply to
Gregory N. Latiak

Sorry to hear that. Is there a different dealer close to you that you could try? It might be worth time to keep trying different dealers until you find one that will work with you.

Don't forget...you can check any Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealer.

Good luck, Jeff C.

Reply to
Jeff

Why not try reading you warranty first? The dealer is correct, it says it covers 'perforation caused by rust.'

mike hunt

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo