Axel Boot strap....

I have a 91 Plymouth Acclaim (3.0) with 137000 miles on it. I just replaced the driver's side axel with an Advance (auto store) replacement. All went fine except after I had the wheels aligned I noticed that the axel was missing the outer boot metal strap, the one closest to the wheel.

I used a plastic tie hoping that would prevent the boot from leaking its grease. Now when I make a turn I can hear, I could be wrong, a loud clunk like noise that sounds like boot is slipping off. I checked the boot and it seems fine. I think it might slip on and off during the turns.

My comfort level with this is zero. I can not find pliers or a metal strap (the strap must be low level or it will interfere when spinning) anywhere that will fit.

I know I can replace the axel at Advance with no problem but I am not looking forward to all the (it's a pain with the strut) work and then have another wheel alignment done.

I do own a boot pliers that will squeeze the "ears" together but like I said, it can get in the way. Does anyone know a place that sells the correct size metal straps and pliers?

Thanks Hank from PA

Reply to
Hank

Richard Ehrenberg

please check the anti-roll bar links. They usuallymake one loud chuck turning only on one direction depending on the broken side. In addtion, if you take the halfshaft out just by removing the balljoint, i think you donot need to allign the wheel again. good luck.

I think bad cv joints will make continuous chuck chuck noise expesially when you are turning and accelerating.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, it was written:

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

The metal strap is specific to CV joint boots. There are a couple of different designs, but you can buy the straps at your local parts store along with an inexpensive tool to cinch them up. It really isn't too bad, though I would take the axle off first.

Reply to
David J. Allen

That nylon tie strap will be just fine as long as you cut the end off and you tightened it up. The "CLUNKING" is NOT from the boot. Check sway bar links and other front suspension parts. Good Luck

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

I will check that out. Thanks Hank from PA

Reply to
Hank

David - Why would you take the axle off to replace the boot band? Should be plenty of visibility and access with wheel removed.

Bill Putney

Reply to
David Allen