Bigger Motor for PT Cruiser?

Hi folks, Can/does/will Chrysler make anything but a 4 cyl. for the PT cruiser? I would like to stuff a firebreather into one, but has it been done already? Help appreciated! HotRodder

Reply to
HotRodder

they don't make a bigger motor but do offer the turbo charged version now at 220HP, they also offer mopar stage 1 kit for the turbo to bring the car to 235hp.

also a many companies sell superchargers and turbo upgrades for the non turbo charged engine's.

A few peeps have stuffed the hemi into the cruiser but thats a complete rebuild, and big $$$$, the srt-4 which uses the same engine as the turbo pt cruiser, has been upgraded by many to over 500hp.

Punch

2003 PT GT owner 240est HP

visit

Punch

They have a turbo motor. You can just turn up the boost and dial in some substantial HP.

---------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

little more to it then that!

Reply to
Punch

I have a standard production 01. It should either produce a lot more power for the amount of fuel it uses, or provide much better fuel economy considering its modest power output. My friends V8 Jag gets about the same fuel economy. (17 city 22 highway). That and its wide turning radius are its two weakest selling points; IMO.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

he didn't ask for that opinion, he asked about bigger motors..

Richard the PT is shaped like a brick, weighs alot, thus uses alot of fuel to get moving.

Reply to
Punch

01 = 4 year old car. How much mileage? Have you changed the spark plugs? Changed the iginition wires, or had them tested? Changed the air filter? Had the tranny fluid & filter changed? 17 city and 22 highway are low, I get 19 to 20 city and 27 highway (24 with ac on) on my 2002 PT. Not great, but for its shape (a brick) and it's weight, that can be expected. If you're having all the maintenance kept up, maybe the intake manifold and fuel injectors need cleaning.

SRG

Reply to
SRG

The early '01s had a service bulletin issued to address poor gas mileage; it required a flash change for the computer. When I had it done, I saw about a

10% improvement.

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
L, not -L

That flash was to cause the a/c to disengage when the accelerator was mashed.

There would be no way to show a definite 10% increase in mileage unless you drove the same roads, same way, same conditions before and after the flash and had the whole thing monitored.

PT_Sean

Since 95% of its use was to drive to and from work, it was driven on the same roads, by the same driver (thus likely the same way), in pretty much the same conditions. All I know for sure is, for the way I used the car - before the flash change I averaged 20 mpg, after flash avg was 22. The only other change I know occurred was the fuel line recall - but I don't recall it being a leak, it was a more obscure situation.

Reply to
L, not -L

The biggest change you would notice would be better acceleration whenever the compressor would otherwise be on. I wouldn't expect any real change in mpg, since the compressor will just have to run that much longer after the period of acceleration to maintain the same cabin temperature - unless the effect were so great that it couldn't maintain the desired/set temperature, in which case you might as well turn the temp. knob down (for the same mpg increse (and be warmer).

Bottom line, the by-far major motivation in a.c. compressor cutouts during acceleration is to give the effect of more power (a "bigger" engine) when the a.c. is running.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic

Hmm, no W.O.T. switch anymore?

Reply to
clemslay

Almost nothing is done with "dumb" discrete device control anymore. All sensors feed into a computer of some sorts, and more sophisticated decisions can be programmed in to effect the desired control outputs.

No doubt one of the sensors feeding into the computer and which determines to some degree if the compressor gets cut off is the throttle position sensor, which serves other purposes as well. If the info. is correct, they did not include WOT compressor turn off in the original firmware algorithms.

Bill Putney