Chrysler may end PT Cruiser production in two years (Sun-Sentinel)

08/15/2007: ROYAL OAK, Mich. Chrysler LLC said Tuesday it will build its iconic PT Cruiser at least through 2009 but made no promises after that, fueling speculation that the stylish retro wagon hurt by a recent slump in sales could be on its way out.
Reply to
admin

iconic PT Cruiser at least through 2009 but made no promises after that, fueling speculation that the stylish retro wagon hurt by a recent slump in sales could be on its way out.

1) Chrysler reports a drop in sales of the PT Cruiser

2) Automotive know-nothings immediately assume the PT Cruiser will be discontinued

3) Chrysler says "we have no plans to discontinue the PT Cruiser for the next 2 years at least"

4) Know-nothings immediately demand Chrysler to promise there will be no changes in their model line up for the next decade

5) Chrysler says "how should we know what the market will do 3 or 4 years from now?"

6) Know-nothings claim this is proof that the PT Cruiser is on it's way out.

My question is why do the automotive reporters even bother with the press releases at all? Whay don't they simply fabricate whatever they want to say out of thin air and report that? Since that is what they are doing anyway.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

If they intend to produce a real PT Cruiser in 2010 and beyond work had to have started at least two years ago. Let's hope the new company has a few tricks up its parts box.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

iconic PT Cruiser at least through 2009 but made no promises after that, fueling speculation that the stylish retro wagon hurt by a recent slump in sales could be on its way out.

Its had a FANTASTIC run. It wouldn't be a failure even if they did pull the plug in 2 years. Compare that to the HHR, which was a flop from the get-go....

Reply to
Steve

I'm surprised they will keep it that long. Must still be selling.

I hope they upgraded the low grade lighting switch that bugs my friend. He can't use his fog lamps he paid extra for and Chrysler has no fix for his PT.

Reply to
who

I love my 01 Limited! There are so many design choices the design team made that are just right. It has been very reliable, but for the typical crap sway bar bushings and links, cured by Energy brand replacements.

All they needed to make the cruiser the perfect vehicle for the time is to have significantly improved its fuel economy. By now the PT Cruiser should sport from the factory the follwing:

  1. Significantly higher quality all season tires such as the Goodyear Triple Tread.

  1. Significantly improved front and rear sway bar links and bushings.

  2. Significantly improved disk brakes with ceramic pads.

  1. Stability Control.

  2. Better seats, radios and GPS options.

But nooooo. The guys in the suits just kept removing content and opting for a corporate look to the dash and front end. Either I'm dead wrong or the guys in the suits should be shot.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

All I would like is better than the 25.5 mpg highway I get on the interstate (non turbo engine with 3 people in car) and rear seats that were lighter weight. They always feel too heavy when yanking them out for a "stuff piled to the roof" run.

Reply to
Steven Stone

My '95 Chrysler had my favorite tires: Michelins.

Seem OK on my Chrysler,

Also OK on my Chrysler,

Only needed for excessive speed or drunk driving. If driving normally requires it that driver should be a passenger.

Got great seats and radio. I wouldn't want a built in GPS as I want to use one when I travel and rent a car or even when walking.

I upset a friend of mine, when discussing his PT quality problems. I said it is Chryslers low end car, which did upset him, but another friend present supported me. No matter how dolled up a PT is, it's still Chryslers bottom end vehicle which is built to meet a low price point.

Honda and Toyota seem to maintain quality in their bottom end vehicles.

Reply to
who

IMHO the 2006 and up redesign models rival any Toyota/Honda low end models. I've had a 2001 PT and then bought a 2006 14 months ago. The 2006 is quiet and very solid- has only been to the dealer for oil changes so far. I really think it is one of the best quality and fit/finish vehicles Chrysler offers- and I'm comparing it to my 05 Pacifica and 06 Town and Country minivan.

Reply to
Scott Koprowski

You've only had your 2006 PT for a short time. So initial quality is OK, but long term takes 5+ years to start evaluating the longer term, 7+ years to really know it.

Reply to
who

I disagree on several counts.

For one thing, the PT Cruiser has for the most part shown EXCEPTIONALLY good reliability, fit and finish, and overall quality.

In the second place, its never been a "low-end" car, but a niche market vehicle. The Neon, Cirrus/Stratus, and now the Caliber are the "low end" cars."

Reply to
Steve

It's based on a low end car, simply dolled up. That won't make it a higher end car. It's problems illustrate that.

Reply to
who

Please write 100 times on the blackboard:

"The PT Cruiser is not built on a Neon platform"

Except, of course, that your experience is far from the norm.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Are you trying to do a Bush on the facts?

PT Cruiser Engineering>

Reply to
who

That depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is, you moron.

Bill Putney

The PT Cruiser is not based on ANYTHING. The PT Cruiser is one of the few vehicles made that is truly standalone platform, unrelated to anything else in the product line. And it has never been problem-plagued in any sense of the word.

Reply to
Steve

You'd trust a website that can't spell "Cruiser?"

NONE of the "facts" above are correct. The original minivans weren't built on Reliant platforms, either.

Reply to
Steve

Hey Joe - I just wanted to make sure you realize that my comment was not aimed at you.

Bill Putney

I didn't think so, but thanks for clarifying.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Like my friend's PT which developed a problem with the fog light switch. They came on with their own schedule, and drained his battery. The dealer replaced the switch once, when it happened again my friend's dealer said there is no Chrysler fix for the problem; "just pull the fuse". Naturally my friend will avoid Chrysler vehicles in the future.

Reply to
who