Maxima SE Brake - power booster lost in cold weather

cold weather here in MN ( 10 below F).. Nissan Maxima SE, auto.

backed out of garage, stepped on brake (was very hard like no power assist) and kept on rolling. let car warm up for 5 minutes, brake pedal pressure was normal and car stopped ok.

drove 20 miles, parked car outside for 4 hours and when starting car, had same problem as above where brake pedal pressure was very hard with hardly any braking ability at first. And had to let car warm up.

then, was driving on freeway for 15 minutes and applied brakes, no power assist again. slowed down, pulled over, waited about 5 minutes and brake pedal returned to normal?

Anyone else seen this?

Suggestions?

Reply to
Bob

Vacuum leak. The booster is probably not holding vacuum over the longer time period.

Reply to
Brian

Bad brake booster and I'll bet the rear seal on the master cyl has failed and put brake fluid into the booster ruining it.

Reply to
Steve

But instantly it would restore vacuum as the booster is conected directly to the intake by a large hose. It's a bad booster.

Reply to
Steve

Since it only happens when very cold, I would suspect moisture in something like the brake fluid (which tends to absorb moisture). Have you ever bled or flushed your brake fluid or used fluid from a container that had been stored for some time after having been opened (not freshly opened)?

The last time I had that happen (seeming lack of boost when cold) was a 67 Ford long ago (has never happened for my 95 SE purchased May 94). You did not mention what year your SE is.

Reply to
David Efflandt

the car is 2000 Maxima SE.. and I had the 60,000 mile service done 2 months ago by a Nissan dealership and they flushed the brake system....

thanks much..

Reply to
Bob

I am having a similar problem with a 98 Buick Park Avenue. The dealership wanted to replace the master cylinder for several hundred dollars, but I wasn't convinced that was the problem so I didn't let them. Have your brakes been successfully repaired yet? If so, what work was done. Thanks.

Reply to
germ9000