Brake Ware question on LH cars

I have a Eagle Vision TSI with Traction Control/Anti-lock brakes

I am assuming that the Traction Control works by applying the brake to one side of the front (power) wheels while the other is left free to turn.

If this is correct, then would not the disc brakes (and maybe one side more then the other) ware out faster then in a "normal" braking system?

The reason for my question is that in upstate NY the (side) roads are not plowed very cleanly, and I notice that my traction control is almost always on at the lower city street speeds. And I was wondering if there was any problem with that.

Thank for any imput

Reply to
Mainframe

I too have an Eagle Vision TSI with traction control. I believe that the traction control system applies the brakes to the wheel that it determines is "slipping" based on speed information from the ABS sensors.

In any event, when the traction control comes on, it means you are wearing down your brakes. I have found that I can avoid this situation about 95% of the time by using my auto-stick to manually shift to a higher gear to start out from a stop light on ice or in heavy snow. I find that I can start in

2nd or even 3rd gear and the reduced torque prevents spinning the wheels. YMMV.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I second that. Use the AutoSchtick if you have it and it will help. Other than that, you can turn the traction control off if you're worried about it, or drive *very* gently for awhile until the snow goes away. Other possibility is that your front tires have become worn to the point where they're on the hairy edge of being unsafe for driving in snow. Consider checking tread depth.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Thanks for the info on traction control

The reason I was so worried is that just going down my street you can hear the traction control "groining" and the green traction light going on and off like a turn signal every time one of the wheels loose traction.

I usually turn it off and "manually" shift using the Auto-Stick.

But somtime, you have to keep your eyes on the road ;-)

Reply to
Mainframe