Intake manifold leaks on LH cars

Original version of LH often got leaks. Was wondering if it was a plastic manifold problem or a gasket problem. Never happened to me but it came up in a discussion in another group.

Reply to
Art Begun

Art, The reason they leak is that they are actually made from something as cheap as a sheet of paper. And just as thin. As a result they break easily and leak. Just a cheap gasket problem. Nothing more.

Steve m...

Reply to
Steve m...

The original LHs did not have a plastic intake manifold.

The gasket failures are likely to be because they weren't a reinforced gasket, just thin single layer.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Agreed.

When mine were replaced I was amazed at the difference between the thin original and the steel mesh reinforced replacement. My original actually was sucked in on one cylinder - no way the replacement would be.

James Linn

Reply to
James Linn

Your mechanic was smart enough to use aftermarket gaskets, good for him!

Reply to
Neil Nelson