building super duper 2.2 turbo engine

I've got a 1986 2.2 Turbo 1 engine in a lebaron and I want to turn the boost way up and put out 400+ hp. Here is my plan:

Get a 1989+ 2.5l non turbo throttle body injection common block to replace the weak 1986 turbo 1 common block Drill the necessary holes in the block for the turbo coolant and oil lines. Cover the balance shaft holes. Swap the weak 1986 2.2 turbo 1 connecting rods for stronger ones Change the pistons (is this needed? and if so, to what?) Install bigger injectors and a rising rate adjustable fuel pressure regulator Turn up the turbo boost using one or many of various methods Install a gigantic intercooler Use the existing 1986 turbo 1 head (is this okay?)

So, my questions are, can I take any old 2.5L 1989+ throttle body injection non-turbo common block + crankshaft from a salvage yard and put my 1986 2.2l turbo 1 head on it? Will that work? What pistons do I need to use? I will get the connecting rods from fwdperformance or forward motion.

Reply to
acannell

That's a lot of work to BLOW UP an engine!

Reply to
Some O

Get the Mopar Preformance Handbook from your dealer Their are lots of things to do to a 2.2 If not done right it will be an instant boat ancor

Reply to
sqdancerLynn
400 HP from a 2.2/2.5 is achievble (its been done, IOW). But its well into the zone where you gotta do EVERYTHING right. The main thing is make ABSOLUTELY certain that you've got enough fuel delivery- if it leans out even for an instant at that kind of boost, you'll hole a piston in 3 turns of the crank. You also need active timing control to retard the spark as the boost comes up. This isn't a "throw it together and go" kind of build. I would definitely look at aftermarket pistons at that power level!

I haven't looked in ages, but the old Shelby Dodge Mailing List used to have a lot of guys who did this level of build on 2.2/2.5s. Another place to at least look for links would be to see if Dempsey Bowling's web page is still active (search for dempsey and "turbo minivan.") Also look for the Turbo minivan page- the guys that race the turbo minivans tend to need the most power out of the 2.2/2.5, so they're the ones who do the most extreme boost increases. Of course they have the most room for neat tricks like Powerstroke intercoolers, too, but the basic principles apply.

snipped-for-privacy@wwc.com wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
acannell

Why arencha just buying a 2.5L turbo engine? It's not like there's a huge cost involved. My favorite junkyard will sell you ANY four-cylinder engine for $150 or so.

--Geoff

snipped-for-privacy@wwc.com wrote:

Reply to
Geoff