Can Anyone Help Just found this group TIA

Can anyone tell me what might be done about a 1992 Plymouth Minvan that I own The paint started falling off in big flakes Nevre seen anything like it Has anyone else had this Prob

Reply to
Mitch

Yes, I've seen that happen on many makes of vehicles. Not sure why it happens on some cars and not others though. My wife had a 1997 Neon with the bright blue paint where this happened.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Very common with late 80s/ early 90s clear-coat paints. Commonly called "clear coat cancer." It was caused by the paint manufacturers reformulating the primers, base coats, and clear coats to reduce volatile organic compounds to meet emissions requirements, and accidentally coming up with combinations that didn't bond together very well. Usually it happens with dark colors like blue, black, dark gray, and green. If itsa '92 and its just NOW starting, its done darned well!

Reply to
Steve

Thank you for the replies

Reply to
Mitch

My 1993 is just now starting to have this problem. It has been garaged all it's life, so I am sure that is why it has taken longer. The peeling is starting on the roof near the raingutters. The repair is very expensive as the paint needs to be removed down to the bare metal. I have had quotes from $1200 - $2500 to do this. Tough decision for a vehicle with a fair market value in the same price range.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Who cares what "fair market value" is. What would it cost you to replace the car? :-)

I was listening to Clark Howard last night and he was going on and on about how financially it gets better and better the longer you can possibly keep a car.... and glanced down at the odometer on my '73 as it was reading (4)31,380 miles..... :-)

Reply to
Steve

I thought there was some kind of class action lawsuit going on against DC over this.

Any>Can anyone tell me what might be done about a 1992 Plymouth Minvan >that I own

Reply to
Cloaked

I found out about the following site about "secret" warranties from this ng a year or two ago. I believe it addresses the peeling paint on your exact vehicle (scroll down to "Chrysler/Jeep - 1986-97 cars, minivans...Problem: Defective automatic transmissions and delaminated paint that turns a chalky colour and then peels off"):

HTH

Bill Putney