Can't remove console. :(

I have a '95 Lebaron, with an automatic transmission.

I can't remove the console.

I want to put a radar sensor under the console, and I want to look around too and straighten out the carpeting, but I can't get the console off. (I was able to do the '88 console with little trouble.)

I've read the shop manual and tried to do everything it says.

It's stuck on the left side an inch or two back from the front end.

And it's stuck where the shift lever comes through the console, totally and equally on both sides.

The shop manual says I have to disconnect the shift indicator cable and clip from the shift mechanism throught the right side panel opening. After I remove the cover, there is a big opening and a little one. I don't see anything relevant in the big one, and the little is too small to work with, afaict.

Not only that, disconnecting the cable is step 9, before removeing the parking brake lever cover. So what right side panel opening are they talking about?

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:26:34 -0400 meirman posted:

Never mind.

I got it. I had to pull the carpeting out from under the lip of the console top to see what I needed.

There is barely any placd to put the radar sensor, and no place without lots of metal interference. But I'm glad I looked.

I'm going to put it under the rear seat. The cushion is all foam, no metal springs like I feared.

There is a horizontal place towards the front, and a few inches back, the floor starts sloping down, so that the active end of a sensor on the floor would point forward and up, rather than horizontal. With a '95 LeBaron convertible, any ideas whether the horizontal place would be better, or the sloping place?

(although in taking off the carpet, I did end up ripping a yellow/with metal attaching plate sort-of-Christmas tree plug from the backing of the front end of the carpet. I don't see how anyone could take that off without ripping the metal teeth out of the cardboard carpet backing. I'll epoxy it back. I didn't make the same mistake on the left hand side.)

I haven't gotten it all off because the previous alarm installer didn't leave enough slack for the led wire. Or at least I haven't found the slack yet, but I'm not going to look. The power top wire seems tied in place too. No matter.

The bolts were right behind the carpet pieces. Just two nuts -- not a third place like I thought.

I got it DISConnected. We'll see about connecting it. :)