Chrysler tachometer

Will the tach signal on pin 43 of the SBEC on my 92 Dynasty 3.3 work with the daughter card and tachometer from the 89 sundance 2.2? Removing the tach from the sundance's guage cluster and making a new enclosure for it shouldn't be hard for me.

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

I know that the entire dash cluster should work, well the one from an 88 sundance worked in my 94 spirit

Reply to
Adam

Almost certainly yes, *BUT* I don't know if the tach driver card (what you are calling 'daughter card') is specific to the number of engine cylinders. It defies logic, but car design sometimes does, and so it may be. A quick check of the parts catalogue would answer this question.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Below I have pasted the info I have that I found elsewhere which says that the tach signal is for a 4 cylinder even when the engine is a v6. Also the cluster would not work directly because the speedometer on the sundance is cable driven and on the dynasty it is electronic.

"1 The 1.6 and 2.0 liter engines are manufactured by Mitsubishi, and are also used in vehicles produced under their name. The same connection configuration applies.

2 When using pin 43 of the SBEC (Single Board Engine Controller) as the tach connection point, the NUMBER OF CYLINDERS selector on the tachometer is set to the 4 cylinder position regardless of the number of cylinders in the engine! 3 In some applications, there may not be a wire connected to pin 43 of the Single Board Engine Controller, however the tach signal is available at this pin. 8 CHRYSLER CORPORATION & MITSUBISHI MOTOR CORPORATION 1 ENGINE CONNECTION DETAILS LOCATION/CONNECTOR PIN NO. WIRE COLOR 1989 1.6 L IGNITION COIL PACK, 4 PIN 3 WHITE 1990 1.6 L IGNITION COIL PACK, 3 PIN 2 YELLOW/BLACK 1990 2.0 L IGNITION COIL PACK, 4 PIN 3 WHITE 1990-93 3.3L, VIN R SINGLE BOARD ENGINE CONTROLLER 43 2 GRAY/LT BLUE3 1990-93 3.8 L SINGLE BOARD ENGINE CONTROLLER 43 2 GRAY/LT BLUE 3 1991-92 3.0 L, VIN U SINGLE BOARD ENGINE CONTROLLER 43 2 GRAY/LT BLUE 3 1992-93 2.0 L IGNITION COIL PACK, 3 PIN 2 YELLOW/GREEN
Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

Forgot to ask since it will probably work what are the yellow and red line RPMs for the 3.3 so I can mark them one the tach face?

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

Erm...the cluster will not work directly because it won't bolt into the dash.

No idea why you think this is relevant. There were no 1.6 or 2.0 litre Sundances or Dynasties.

OK -- I would believe this out of hand if it came from a Chrysler source. If it's just some random guy's statement, I'd need more proof (or to try it myself).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No need, the SBEC has a rev limiter.

Kinda curious why you need a tach in an automatic vehicle.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
philthy

Why? #1 Because I love to tinker and solder, #2 because I don't have any spendable cash, and #3 because the chrysler tach is huge.

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

I have encountered the rev limiter while in park (holding the engine WOT in park makes a nice sound with the 3.3 and is also a good way to check the motor mounts IMHO) but have not hit it with the vehicle in gear so I wondered if it was enabled at all in drive.

I don't NEED a tach with an auto tranny but I WANT one. Always was curiuos what the actual curb idle and cranking speeds are. Besides my sister's Mercury Sable 3.0 has the AXOD-E trans and it has a factory tach (Damn fords)

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

Yes, it is. On a car with a 3-speed auto, you can easily hit the rev limiter while the car's in motion: Just shift to "1" and start accelerating. The A604 (and family) will do its best to avoid letting the engine reach redline, which means it WILL upshift 1-2 and 2-3 even if you place the shifter in "L" (the shift points are simply delayed). 3rd gear is 1:1 (direct drive), so calculate your tire circumference, check your final-drive ratio and do the maths to figure out how fast you'd have to be driving in 3rd to hit the rev limiter. (Hint: driving that fast will get your car impounded and your ass jailed)

The tach you're looking at won't tell you that. It does not register during engine cranking, and the calibrations are not sufficient to tell you what the idle speed is to any useful degree of precision. All you'll be able to tell is that it's something less than 1,000 RPM.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hi...

Time for my silly question... :)

If 3rd is 1:1 - then what's OD (3 in a circle) ?

And while I'm at it, at about what speed, driving old man style on the flat prairies should I expect it to lock up?

Reason I ask that is I've never felt it do so... with previous GM products I sure did. First few times a little unsettling - a bit of a change in attitude, a noticable slowing of the engine, and if you gently touched the brake pedal it vibrated just a bit under my foot.

Now I plan to try it gently and watch the tach, but...

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

A604 ratios are:

1st: 2.84 2nd: 1.57 3rd: 1.00 4th: 0.69

Torque converter lockup is available in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

There is no "3 in a circle" on any of the A604/41TE/42LE quadrants I've ever seen; they're all P R N [D] 3 L.

There is no single lockup speed. See above; lockup can occur in 2nd, 3rd or 4th and at variable road speeds and loads.

When everything's working correctly, the A604 (etc.) lockup is very, very difficult to detect. I suppose that's one reason you want a tachometer!

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern