Constant Tranny leak after service

I had my wife's PT Cruiser serviced with new fluid, filter, etc. and since then, have had nothing but leaks! I thought it was a pinched gasket, but was told that there is no gasket, merely sealant. A two year old car with transmission leaks, I have gone through this with myriad old junkers, and this is getting me riled! I have had this back to the Chrysler dealer, who merely "resealed" the transmission or given it the sunshine treatment. I should have just left the thing alone, this certainly isn't a TorqueFlight! or even my faithful old FluidDrive! Do these new transmissions (2005 model) have leaking problems? It all started with having to replace a solenoid due to the tranny not wanting to shift into gear.

Reply to
<Count Floyd

Have them put dye into the trans and use a black lite to pin point the leak. This a a 2005? with 7/70 power train warranty?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

While they come from the factory with RTV sealing the pan, DC does make available a re-usable metal sandwich - uhh - sandwhich - uhh - layered gasket that is very reliable as far as not leaking. Makes getting the pan off the next time a piece of cake too. They do cost about $30, but they are re-usable. Next time, offer to pay the extra parts cost for the layered metal gasket.

RTV sealing is dependent somewhat on the skill and attention-to-detail of the installer. The layered metal gasket is almost fool-proof (although anyone can make a gasket leak or strip the threads on an oil drain plug if they are stupid and/or determined enough).

Hopefully your leak is not in a shaft seal.

Bill Putney

The trick on these no-gasket types is to replace the sealant, and then don't put the oil back in. Leave the car alone for about 24 hours. Let the sealant just dry really well before you put any fluid in them.

Now, the dealer can do that, but htey may be thinking you want the car back faster. On the other hand, maybe the leak is not coming from the pan.

Reply to
Joe

Or, again, have them use the metal sandwich gasket. No drying time, does not leak, and much less dependent on the skill and workmanship of the installer.

Bill Putney

Does not leak USUALLY....

I've known a few guys who bought the allegedly reusable sandwich gaskets in eager anticipation of never having to scrape sealant again, and wound up stomping violently on them after having repeated pan leaks :-/

Reply to
Steve

Bill, Took the car to the dealer and insisted that he get the real gasket,he had to order it from another dealer, he was surprised that I knew about it! I am picking up the car Friday, he also had to replace the front two wheel bearings also. I am looking forward to no more drips on the garage floor, he said that after the gasket was put on, they ran it and kept looking for drips, but none were found! knock on wood! Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to
<Count Floyd

You're welcome!

Bill Putney