Daytona tune up

Hello, I was wondering what spark plugs to buy for a 89 Daytona, 2.5 turbo ? I've seen so many different ones and some are really expensive. Any ones to stay away from ? Thanks

Reply to
pcfreak

By far the best choice is to go with the OEM plug, which is made by Champion. Stay away from any 'splitfire', NGK, Bosch, etc., you might run across. I would also avoid platinum plugs for this vehicle in particular, since it wasn't spec'd for it at time of manufacture.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Thanks alot Geoff. I appreciate it.

Reply to
pcfreak

Non-gimmick. My preference is for Autolites rather than Champions, but some have had the opposite experience. NGKs are also of fine quality. What you want to avoid is the very expensive "something for nothing" spark plugs. There's no advantage to a Platinum spark plug in this engine, there's no need for multiple side electrodes (e.g. Bosch Platinum Plus 2 or Plus 4), and "Splitfire" is a load of BS.

That said, there are a lot of different non-gimmick plugs that are available. My "pet" plug for this engine is the Autolite 925, which has a doubly-long electrode set. This moves the spark closer to the center of the combustion chamber and tends to improve ignition a little, especially during cold-start/cold-run conditions. The Champion equivalent is RN13LYC.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to