dealer says one thing chrysler says different who to call?

thanks. I didn't even see that link. What I did was select parts from the main page.

What about the part? I used to have a service manual but can't find it now. I've been told the pcm and ecu and ecm are all the same part. I've been told by other people that they are not. I see ecu and ecm for sale several places. I can't find a pcm for sale though. For a '99 are they really just different names for the same part ?

Under electrical/powertrain control there is and ecm link. mechanicsvilledodge list the same price as the dealer was telling me it costs so it may be the same part? The ecu/ecms at other sites I found cost a lot less.

stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Part of the problem appears to be that the "system" the chrysler customer support people access has different information than the "system" the parts guy at the dealer has access to. And they didn't agree. The customer support people would say 'our systems" shows such and such and the dealer woud say that was wrong because their "system" would show something different.

stephen

Reply to
Stephen

That is what the dealer was telling me. He was telling me it could only come from chrysler. But if if found a used one from a vehicle what the same configuration and year as mine would that not work? Assuming I could find out what configuration items needed to be the same.

stephen

Reply to
Stephen

I took it to a dealer for seveal reasons. I thought the problem was electrical in nature. There are not mechanics close to me that I could find that had good reputations. In the past I have not had good luck with independent shops in dealing with electrical issues. It seems to get worse the more computerized vehicles get. Second, I have had good experiences with this dealer. I've used them for some time. In the past they have always done a good job fairly quickly. And they are close to where I live. Also this area is, or was when this first started, undergoing a mechanics strike. So that limits the places I could take it.

As to chryslers obligation I'm not sure. I feel they have some obligation to support a product they manufacture and sell. I think the least they could have done after I waited two weeks for the part was to ship the part via overnight shipping instead of sending it through their aparently two week distribution system.

stephen

Reply to
Stephen

I really do think you need to post to a Jeep-only forum - to get more vehicle-specific help (is that part really bad?, what's the exact nomencalture and part number for that part if it is bad?, etc.). Perhaps a dealer tech who knows the vehicle will reply and get you pointed in the right direction.

Bill Putney

I tried that but got only a couple of responses. I got a lot more response here.

stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Reply to
mic canic

Clearly Stephen left out a part of this lengthy story. The dealer is sure to get none of your money if they don't order another PCM. I can understand completely that one person says "I sent it" and another person says "I didn't get it". That happens all the time, all over the world. What I don't understand is how you got stuck at that point. This is like if you paid your light bill, and it got lost in the mail, so your electricity got turned off, and you sat in the dark for the REST OF YOUR LIFE saying, "but I paid my bill!"

All of us have to deal with the mail every day, including this dealer. Think about it.

Reply to
Joe

That sounds like an actual scam that Chase Manhattan Mortgage tried to pull about 7 or 9 years ago with a bunch of customers (including me) to rack up late fees. I think they ended up on 60 minutes or Dateline or something like that over that one.

But I digress...

Bill Putney

It's not just dc. Ford is doing this now too. I can't get a stupid rear tail light assembly for my daughter's Mercury because their system also relies on a dealer-to-dealer system, and there are none in the entire U.S. for another 2 months. One of those MBA ideas that looks good on paper. I'm sure the idea is to cut down on money tied up in inventory. Like JIT, it just doesn't work in the real world unless someone violates the principle somewhere in the system and warehouses parts. When auto manufacturers say they do JIT, all it means is that they push the cost of warehousing reserve inventory back onto the suppliers without any compensation to the suppliers so the manufacturer can brag about their "JIT" system. The costs come right out of the suppliers' margins.

Bill Putney

I call it "almost just in time".

Reply to
Art

Reply to
deadbeat

Reply to
mic canic

There's nothing wrong with shopping the dealers if the system is out of a given part, and it would be wise to exploit that previously untapped resource. The *problem* occurs when the system is re-geared to *depend* on that previously untapped source - IOW, *IF*, as is typical of scatterbrained MBA-think, what used to be the usual statistically reasonable levels of warehouse inventory is cut way back, and a new dependence is built on being able to scavenge from the network of dealers (with levels of a given part in that "reservoir" being totally random), then you have happen what is now commonplace: no availability of a given part for several weeks or even months - not just once in a blue moon, but routinely. Basically the system is dry until a new production run of the given part is made to replenish the traditional warehousing system.

Bill Putney