Decided to fix my 98 concorde but the transmission is a problem

I have a 98 Concorde and about 5 months ago the car went kapoot, smoke everywhere out of exhaust and everything so I pulled it into my driveway (luckily I was close) and left it, I assume it was a blown head gasket (and will still replace said gasket) but now I when I start the car the transmission wont catch until about 2k RPM... Is the transmission shot? I think it might have all lead back to some faulty hoses that burst after I hit a chunk of concrete while driving.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
AFX

have you checked your transmission fluid yet to find out if there's any fluid in it?

Reply to
rob

Not enough information.

2.7L or 3.2L? Did you check fluid level in the transmission? Did you get underneath the car and actually look for damage: Structural, hoses, hole in oil pan, etc.? You can do that, we can't.

"I think it might have all lead back to some faulty hoses that burst after I hit a chunk of concrete while driving." ?? I can't equate

*faulty* hoses to hitting a chunk of concrete.

To paraphrase Jerry Maguire: "Help *US* help *YOU* - help *US* help *YOU*!"

Bill Putney

Sorry, it was uber late.

Well I checked the fluid and it seems to have none in it, I had put 2 bottles of fluid in before I drove it about 2 miles, would not having fluid make it not catch?

I got under the car and dont see any damage besides everything leaking from under the engine where the hoses that carry engine oil, tans oil and coolant are.

And I meant the hoses were faulty because I hit a piece of concrete :)

Its a 3.2L v6 LXI

Reply to
AFX

Oh and I prefer the Dr. Cox from scrubs quote.

"Oh come on noobie, help me to help you, help me to help you, help me to help you. Ahh get out of here"

Reply to
AFX

Absolutely.

The transmission fluid hoses to the radiator are known for developing leaks up near the radiator. The are rubber to metal hoses with standard screw clamps - usually all it takes is tightening the clamps (unless a hose truly was damaged by your concrete mishap.

Are you sure smoke was coming out of the exhaust, or was it burning off the engine compartment area and flowing out the back from hitting the exhaust externally (in the engine compartment)? What color was the smoke? Blue = oil, white = coolant/antifreeze.

Bill Putney

Bill,

Thanks for the quick replies! Im going to jack it up and get it checked out tonight!

Reply to
AFX

With a 3.2, the odds of a bad head gasket are almost zero. You blew a transmission gasket, the oil hit the hot exhaust plumbing and made clouds of smoke, and when the fluid drained out the transmission (of course) quit working. You probably parked the car for no reason, other than a pair of hoses that sell for under $100. The question is whether you damaged the transmission by trying to drive it without fluid, but the quickest way to tell is to replace the hoses, fill it with fluid (heck, CHANGE the fluid and filter while the pan's nearly empty) and then see how it works. Odds are 50/50 you killed it by revving the engine to 2000 rpm to make the transmission "catch."

Reply to
Steve