Compressor 98 2.7 Intrepid

My 98 Intrepid (2.7) has given up the ghost on the A?C. The compr3essor gave out a smell and a whine and packed in. I removed the clutch relay just to be on the safe side but the noise and rattling etc got worse. I have now removed the drive belt for A/c. Anyone see any problem running like that. Compressor is worth more than the car (300,000km) but body and engine run sweetly (2.7 and all)

Keith

Reply to
Keith Phillips

Keith,

You can run without the A/C compressor belt. My son's '96 Eagle Vision (I believe it uses the same compressor) also self-destructed at about 75K miles and 9 years of age. We bought a remanufactured unit from

for about $250. I replaced the unit and when I attempted to draw a vacuum, I discovered that the high pressure line had a pin hole leak. I found the line for $15 at a U-Pull-It salvage yard and swapped it out. I also purchased new o-rings for all the lines and replaced those at the same time. I drew another vacuum and this time it held .... we recharged the system and it has worked great now for two years. Total cost was about $300. Good luck. Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

It sounds like the clutch assembly went out on you. You may not need the complete compressor. You can remove the belt but on snowy, rainy days you may have a hard time getting the moisture out of the vehicle causing visibility problems.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn is correct. You can replace just the clutch if that is the problem - unless you let it go so long that the clutch wobbled into the compressor case and chewed that up.

Bill Putney

Thanks very much, I will remove the compressor and inspect. I am sure it is the clutch and I shut it off pretty darn quick but , we shall see.

Reply to
Keith Phillips

remember to replace your reciever dryer if your car has had outside air in for more than a day or two

Reply to
AFX

This is an excellent recommendation. (I forgot to mention that when I posted earlier.)

Bob

remember to replace your reciever dryer if your car has had outside air in for more than a day or two

Reply to
Bob Shuman

NO!! Don't compound your problems by removing the compressor! The whole POINT is that if its just the clutch, you don't have to crack open the AC system to fix it! The clutch can be serviced with the compressor on the car, or at least with the refrigerant lines still connected.

Reply to
Steve