Disabling Headlight Off-Time Delay

Is it possible to disable the Headlight Off-Time Delay on the newer minivans?

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

If it's set up like my Sebring, turn the headlights off before cutting the engine.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

If the setup is the same as on my Pacifica, you simlpy turn the lights off before turning off the engine and not leave the switch set to "auto".

Reply to
RPhillips47

If it's set up like my Sebring, turn the headlights off before cutting the engine.

================

On our Chrysler, if one forgets to turn off the headlights before turning off the engine, then the following sequence works: Very briefly turn the headlight switch off. Very briefly turn the headlight switch on. Finally, turn the headlight switch off again - the lights are now off.

This procedure becomes automatic and extremely quick - definitely less than one second total time.

Personally, I seldom intentionally use the 45 second headlight delay because it is not good for the battery. In some situations, the detrimental effects upon the battery are somewhat minimal, but in other cases it contributes to the diminished capacity of the battery. Why waste even a small part of the life of the battery needlessly? Most battery damage is cumulative and irreversible.

Our Chrysler has many features which can place our battery in a less-than-fully-charged state overnight. This includes remote-controlled side doors, remote control tailgate, delayed-off interior lights, delayed-off headlights, delayed off radio/cd player, etc. I can't re-train my wife, so when it is time to replace the battery then I'll just go to Sam's Club and buy the highest capacity deep-cycle battery that I can fit in the vehicle. And of course I'll continue to use the off-on-off sequence when I forget to kill the lights before killing the engine.

Reply to
Gideon

I do something similar (2004 Concorde):

As I exit the vehicle, since I have the keys in hand, I use the remote control and click the door unlock (which turns off the lights), and then click the door lock button.

-ivan-

Gide>news:crbqu8$qqf$ snipped-for-privacy@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu... >

Reply to
ivan

I say "Oh, #$%&#", and cycle the ignition on and off once. The lights go out. I'm sure the first step is optional though.

Redbeard

Reply to
D & J Bergevin