Dodge Dakota ABS/Speed sensor

About six months ago my ABS and Brake lights started to stay on intemittantly on my 98 Dodge Dakota. Sometimes on Sometimes not. After several months of this the lights stayed on permanently. I was advised to change the speed ring sensor on the differential which I did on 9/6/05 and the problem was fixed.

Last week, after only two months and about 5K miles the lights started coming on intermittantly again. Did I miss something? Would there be some reason for such a quick failure?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

There's lots of different sensors, get the vehicle scanned and post the results.

Ted

Reply to
tedm

Reply to
philthy

Axle nearings? The sensor is located on the differential, nothing to do with the axles or excessive play.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

hey frank if you had bearing play your diff would be humming along. some dakota models have a sub harness that comes with the sensor and should be installed between the sensor and exsisting harness. check it out

Reply to
santino1

Ok, now its the differetial bearings not the axle bearings! Wouldnt the cust be comlaining of a noise in the rear if this were the case instead of the ABS lite on?

Glenn Beasley

Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Replacement sensor had a harness adder as I recall, but it appeared that it was just to reorient the direction of the harness, maybe for protection.

Thanks to all responders. I'm going to pull the differential back cap plate and see if I can tell if all is well in there. past due for a recommended fluid change anyway (although I normally ignore differential changes) and i did recall that the fluid seemed a little dirty when I changed the sensor. I thought that was strange.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher