don't want th A/C , compressor is bad and evap needs replacing ,,,

I figure I can run the car without ac the dealer opened the clutch on the compressor so the belt wilol turn .they wanted $1900 to fix the A/
C and thet as just too much for a van with 120k miles on it..anyway I bought a belt for this veh without air and it looks like I'm screwed as they would put a idler pulley where the compressor is so the belt still has to run where the compressor is which is making a grinding noise and I'm afraid the bearings bad and will bust the belt or burn it up .is there a way to run this car without A/C and not go by the compressor?.................Wayne
2000 Dodge gr Caravan le awd

You make no sense. If they remove the compressor and replace it with an idler pulley and bracket, why would you be afraid of the grinding noise and the bearings being bad if the compressor is no longer on the vehicle??????? Am I misunderstading something?
SRN wrote:

Yeah - people who are too ignorant or lazy (or both) to even attempt to use punctuation and capitalization to construct real sentences don't even deserve an answer.
I had a little trouble following it too, but I finally figured out he was meaning that the did something with the clutch so at least it will turn, but it makes a gridning noise that he is concerned about. When he says "...anyway I >>bought a belt for this veh without air and it looks like I'm screwed >>as they would put a idler pulley where the compressor is..." he's saying that if the vehicle had come from the factory without air, an idler pulley would be where the compressor is now. So, instead of uninstalling the compressor and putting an idler pulley in its place, he wants to know what other options he might have. Or maybe he hasn't figured out that he can remove the compressor and put an idler pulley in its place? But right now the compressor is still installed and it's making a grinding noise, so he is concerned the clutch may lock up or come apart.

OK, Bill, you're probably right. As I see it, he can either have someone replace the bearing in the clutch, or remove the compressor and install an A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley, such as the Motormite unit sold by Autozone for $35.

Man this is a tough crowd........bypass pulley looks like what I need . I hope I can get the compressor without any problems.........thx.........Wayne

off :)

Wayne wrote:

Just replace the clutch assembly on the dead compressor. Leave the clutch wire disconnected so the dead compressor won't engage. Cheaper than fabricating a bypass pulley of some sort.
i thought dorman sold a ac bypass kit for your van but if that does not hold out i have a used good clutch assembly that i can sell you