Doors locked themselves, engine running, stationery

I have a 2001Sebring convertible LXi. After work just before Christmas, I went out to the parking lot, unlocked the car (with the remote) then started the car to get the engine warming while I brushed off the snow. I closed the door because it stops the snow falling inside!

When I finished, I went to open the door and it was locked!. I do not know whether it locked immediately it closed or after a few moments.

Obviously this was pretty inconvenient as I had to call home for the spare keys to be carried out to me!

Any ideas about possible causes? I am thinking of getting something that lets me easily detach the key from the remote so I can keep the remote in my hand or pocket in case it happens again.

Reply to
rickety

Moisture from precip.

Best idea yet.

Reply to
wrench

I had the exact same thing happen to me one time a couple of years ago. It hasn't happened since.

The most likely thing is that we inadvertently hit the lock buttons on our respective remotes just after we started our cars (even more plausible if you had thick winter gloves on, were cold and moving around spastically to get done quickly, keep warm, etc.), and then shut the (locked) doors. After realizing that that is probably what happened, I have always been real careful to not accidentally hit any buttons on the remote, and, like I said, it has not happened again.

Bill Putney

Hi...

Had my grand daughter lock us out once... not fun :)

A spare key without the fancy rubberish top is quite thin, and fits nicely inside one of the little compartments in my wallet.

Just have to remember that I have to unlock only the passenger door with it, 'cause the switch is broken on the drivers side.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

The disarm switch inside the door may have shorted out from water and caused the doors to lock. A common problem with the Mini vans.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

No idea what is causing your door locking problem, but I seem to recall using a magnetic spare key holder years back. I used to locate it under my front bumper back when they were made from steel and chrome.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

"Hi...

Had my grand daughter lock us out once... not fun :)

A spare key without the fancy rubberish top is quite thin, and fits nicely inside one of the little compartments in my wallet.

Just have to remember that I have to unlock only the passenger door with it, 'cause the switch is broken on the drivers side.

Ken" =============================================== I had a REGULAR key cut for my 2001 PT from the valet key....does not and will not start the PT. I cut the top off the key just leaving the teeth ONLY..........it is about 1 inch long and taped (duct tape) to a very easy place to get to. Will open the doors.......that is all that is needed.

HNY h

Reply to
howard

One inch? How do you turn it? And how do you get it out of the lock afterwards?

Reply to
wrench

"One inch? How do you turn it? And how do you get it out of the lock afterwards"

I have strong enough fingers to turn it. It is only the DOOR LOCK......and it does not take much movement.

If you are thinking about it, start with the key a little longer and gradually trim both in length and width as short and as narrow as you can and still turn it in the DOOR.....the trunk (back hatch) is a VERY SHORT TURN to open. The obvious place is the gas cap door, but way too easy to find..mine is taped behind the front license plate.........

howard

"howard" wrote in news:JtOdnR snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

find..mine

Why not just carry two keys on different keyrings? Or is that just too obvious?

Reply to
Joe

Wow, I pick locks as a hobby, and on occasion have to open a car door. Even with my tension bars I can't usually 'trip' the tumbler with using a key tip or pocketknife blade after tripping the tumblers. You must have strong fingers indeed.

I just carry a door key in my wallet. That way the thief (and they admit they check all those 'hiding places') will have to really work hard to get into MY Plymouth Voyager - hah hah! A flat tip screwdriver and a coat hanger and they're in! Argh!

Reply to
wrench