Durango foglights woes

Looks like I've bitten the bullet with aftermarket foglights for 99 Durango. Being a cheapskate I bought two generic (nicely looking) 55W foglight assemblies (OEMs were destroyed in accident) and attempted to install them. Blew my fuse right away. Checking wiring diagrams it appears that Durango uses ground-switched circuit for foglights, but my aftermarkets are grounded inside! No wonder it blows the fuse...

I see I can solve this by using an aux relay: either single one for both lights and extra wiring, or separate relay for each light. What bothers me is bunch of extra wires & relays right where all the dirt & water comes in... can anyone suggest way around this?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Mistake numbers one through twelve: Buying cheap garbage and expecting them to work correctly (or at all).

Start with good fog lamps that will actually do some useful work for you. Bosch Compact 100s fit Durangos and work great. And as a special bonus, they're fully electrically isolated, so they don't know or care which leg of the circuit is switched.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I know. But sometimes just can't help myself 8-P

Thanks for the advice... Boschs are definitely good but overly pricey... just can't seem to justify that expense for a set of lights I use coupla times a year.

Anyway, I hooked up the original relay and wiring that came with those cheapo aftermarkets... seems to work just fine now. As a special bonus I now have double-fused foglights circuit ;))

Peter

Reply to
Peter