disco 2 foglights

When I took the battered foglights out of the bumper valance, there were two hoses going to each light in addition to the power cable. One leads to the bottom corner of the light, the other to the top corner diagonally opposite. The hoses disappear up into the engine bay, not sure where to. Each hose is about 10mm O/D, and quite heavy duty, like fuel hose. Where they fit into the light unit is simply an opening to the space in front of the bulb. All I can think of is that they are there to provide air circulation. Breathers in case of submersion while hot (a la axle breather)? Connected to heater system to prevent misting? For sucking light back into the cabin to illuminate the dash?

Has anyone any idea what they are for? They are not mentioned in the workshop manual, which shows only the power cable.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Got to be some kind of breather innit? I would assume that there's quite a bright bulb in quite a small space so you wouldn't want owt trapped in there. Take a look at my fog lights on the range rover next time you see em, looks like she needs her cataracts doing!

Did you find some second hand bits in the end? I was on famous fours website today, and they've got loads of secondhand Disco II bits.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

They are to prevent condensation in the headlamps - it's seen as a big issue in some markets.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

||| Has anyone any idea what they are for? They are not mentioned in ||| the workshop manual, which shows only the power cable. ||| || || They are to prevent condensation in the headlamps - it's seen as a || big issue in some markets.

Fine, many thanks. Strange they don't appear in the LR manual, though.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Seems you're right.

Yeah, had a look there. They had a complete bumper assembly including foglights, but in Alveston Red. Would have needed a respray, although I was considering a kind of two-tone effect for a while. I've decided to fit new lamps as the originals are FUBAR and have a go at mending the bumper myself. Hope the weekend stays dry, as there's the ladder and front discs/pads to fit as well.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

They are in the parts book : AMR3411 - on page M3 of the printed manual.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

|| In message || "Richard Brookman" wrote: || ||| beamendsltd wrote: ||| |||||| Has anyone any idea what they are for? They are not mentioned in |||||| the workshop manual, which shows only the power cable. |||||| ||||| ||||| They are to prevent condensation in the headlamps - it's seen as a ||||| big issue in some markets. ||| ||| Fine, many thanks. Strange they don't appear in the LR manual, ||| though. ||| || They are in the parts book : AMR3411 - on page M3 of the printed || manual. || || Richard || -- ||

snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk || RISC-OS - Where have all the good guys gone? || Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay

Ah - I was looking on the RAVE workshop manual.

Reply to
Richard Brookman