Fiat CEO: Chrysler worse than we thought

And what's the significance of that?

When you look at the trading relationship between the US and Canada, it's far more equitable and even-handed (and open) then with any other two trading parters in the world.

Pointing out these production differences, or making distinctions between made-in-usa vs made-in-canada means about as much as made-in-michigan vs made-in-ohio.

Do Ohioans go out of their way to buy vehicles (or any products) made in Ohio over those made in another state? What's so different about Michigan vs Ontario vs Ohio? We all buy each-others products along free-market, free-access lines. You can't say that for US vs EU trade, or US vs Japan trade.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Because some people insist on "Buy American." Even when the cars they buy were made in Canada or Mexico. There's nothing wrong with the cars being made there; it just makes the "Buy American" jingoism silly.

But when a poster is flat-out wrong about where minivans are made, that deserved a detailed response.

Reply to
erschroedinger

Any examples?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Oddly, while he was wrong about where the Odyssey and Sienna are made, you're focussing on the fact that the Chrysler minivans are made in Canada as if he made the mistake there -- and he did, after all, refer to them as "NA"-made.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

But all Toyotas and Hondas are still foreign cars. Period. I don't give a rip where its assembled, I care where its designed and where the money ultimately goes when I buy it.

Reply to
Steve

I take it you like the Scion too. Wat a hell of a Box. However, both the Fit and Scion are great for mothers. Ford has vastly improved the look of their box, Edge I believe.

Yes the new CTS has a horrible grill as do many cars today- see Mazda. Obviously they think the Audi's horrible grill is desirable. UGH!

Most of Chrysler's few car models have grills designed by their truck guys. WANTED: Car designers for Chrysler. They have left!

Reply to
Some O

They are all made in NAFTA. As is the Neon from Mexico. As is the Chrysler 300 from Canada. As was the Chrysler LH line from Canada.

Reply to
Some O

They're all from AMERICA, North America.

Reply to
Some O

They do design work in NAFTA. As does Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Reply to
Some O

Is that true for all the other consumer products and even food that you buy?

Or are you just grandstanding by making that statement?

Reply to
MoPar Man

For starters, is there a free-trade agreement in place between US and Japan?

Or between the US and EU?

Don't you need a free trade agreement in place between two countries in order to say that each country has access to the other countries markets?

No import taxes or duties, no quotes, no trade prohibitions or restrictions?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Bottom-posting is bad form. Forces me to scroll through reams of stuff I don'y need.

Try "live and let live".

What quotas, trade prohibions or restrictions are there between the US and EU?

There are probably some duties (likely only a few percent), but not specific against anyone in particular in general.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I think you just created an oxymoron. But it does have meaning in context.

Reply to
Bill Putney

I see what you mean... :-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Its impossible to buy 100% American, nor would I really want to do so. A global economy is both a reality and a good thing. But I don't like the trend in some products where you CANNOT buy an American-designed or manufactured version. I am not grandstanding when I say that, when possible, I will go out of my way to buy something designed and made by and American-owned company versus overseas-owned. I'll pay more (within reason)as well as go to a less-convenient sales point if necessary.

I also really do consider design more than assembly point. The assembly plant is the least advanced part of a company, so I'd rather see the innovation and engineering done in the US and the assembly done overseas versus using the US as an assembly point just to claim "American made!" on a label.

Reply to
Steve

Most Toyotas and Hondas are designed in the US. Both companies have extensive design studios in California, and some models are sold only in the US and are designed solely for the US (e.g., full-size pickups, minivans).

And as for where the money goes, buy stock in Toyota or Honda and them some of the money will go here. That is, in addition to all the auto workers they employ, all their dealers, all the workers at their dealers, ... All of whom are Americans and are getting a big chunk of the money.

Reply to
erschroedinger

And I believe they are non-union, so there is certainly something to be said in their favor for that.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Actually, yes - you are grandstanding.

Arguably, what many Americans would feel they gave the world is this idea that a free market with many players in fair competition with each other will lead to the best product for the buyer.

What you are saying is that you will throw that idea out the window and base your consumer-product choice on where a product is made, or by whom, vs base your decision on the merits of the product and the value of it's price.

As would any other citizen of any other country.

If you want to reward creativity and superior design and construction, then buy the better product regardless where it's made or who designed it.

If you feel that the markets are tilted in favor of other countries, to the extent that good product design and construction is being undermined by trade policy, then write your congressman.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Blah blah, woof woof. Still a Japanese owned company.

Uh... No.

Reply to
Steve

No, I didn't say that or imply it. Maybe I didn't adequately clarify what I meant by saying "when possible...." but I thought it was obvious. "When possible..." includes getting the same or better quality, as is the case when I buy a Freiderich air conditioner instead of an LG or Panasonic. The product is better, its made in San Antonio, and the only downside is that its more expensive and I have to go somewhere other than Home Depot to get one. I'll take that drive to find it. But no, I wouldn't if it were an inferior product.

Reply to
Steve