Fiat CEO: Chrysler worse than we thought

------------

Nowhere in the segment I quoted did you make any indication that you would choose the better product regardless who made or designed it. All you talked about was that you would choose an American designed/built product "when possible". Any rational reader would conclude that your "when possible" proviso meant that IF there was an American-made version, you would buy it, and if there wasn't, that you'd then buy foreign-made.

If by "when possible" you meant "when appropriate" or "when suitable", you should have said it.

The part about paying more for a US-made version remains unexplained. If you would pay more for a US version, presumably it would be because it is a "better" product. If there was no such increase in product quality, then why would you pay more for the US-made version?

There is really no consistent, unbiased, experienced or accurate source for comparative information for many consumer-grade durable goods. Beyond a simple spec-sheet describing the basic capabilities or features of a given product, consumers really have no way to know much about the intimate mechanical or structural details of most products and how those details will play out over the lifespan of the product.

For many types of consumer products that even have reviews, many times by the time the review is published, the product will be close to being replaced by next-years version.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Let's just chalk your inability to understand my motivation in this regard to the same phenomenon that makes me unable to fathom why on God's green earth you'd prefer a v6 300M or other front-drive LH chassis to a rear-drive v8 LX chassis Charger or Challenger.

We're different people with different preferences.

Reply to
Steve

And after your latest reply it still is.

And for which you obviously don't want to explain yourself.

Because I, like about 1/2 of the population of North America, have to deal with snow and ice for some part of the year, for which rear-wheel-drive vehicles are totally unsatisfactory in dealing with.

If I had a 3-car garage, then ya, sure, I'd have a nice RWD car parked there during the winter (and hopefully not a 2-ton RWD car either). But I don't. So my daily driver has to be able to handle the summer and winter. My other vehicle is a 2001 Dodge Ram, with a 318 V8 (ie - 5.2L) and I sure as hell don't drive it in the winter.

And with regard to your comment about a v6-300m, you obviously don't know what a 250 hp engine can do with a 3600 lb car. 14.4 lbs per hp ain't bad.

And some are more sane, rational or practical than others.

Reply to
MoPar Man

"MoPar Man" response to Steve on > > The part about paying more for a US-made version remains

Imagine if the US produced no poroducts. Take for example tires. Many of the US tire companies are shifting operations overseas because labor cost is cheaper. They in turn return the product back to the US with tariff's attached sometimes and sometimes not. The company past the tariff to the US goverment and passes the tariff back to the consumer. So imagine if all the US manaufact6ures would move overseas where would people work. The service industry? There will not be enough jobs to support everyone. Going Global as the CEO of these companies call it is shutting down factories and plants in the US.

This is will eventually lead to a smaller number of Americans earning decent wages and even having fulltime jobs. I for one support US made products as much as I can. I take time to research where it is made before I buy. I like Steve is willing to pay a little more to help out my fellow American.

rear-wheel-drive vehicles are totally unsatisfactory in dealing with.

Just because you live in an area of snow does not mean that because you like a certain car model it should be produced only in front whell drive. I for one hate front whell drive because of the lousy truning radius and lack of room under teh hood to work on anything. Does this mean that the car manufacture should produce only rear wheel drive cars. No. The 300M sells very whell in the South untill recently when the economy dropped out. Car manufactures do not have statisfy you are I on drive train preference. The do their research and decide what going to sell the best. They then produce the vehicle based off of this research. Just like most research sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong.

I come to the conclusion by reading the post that if any one does not agree with you they are wrong. Dude calm down, takes some valium or something. It called a difference of opinions.

Reply to
Licker

And which SBW* test does that pass?

DAS

  • so bl..dy what

Dori A Schmetterling

I did explain myself (given equal quality products, I'll keep my money within the US even if it means I spend a little more because its a net benefit to me). Its nothing more complicated than that!

Traction control on RWD is better than FWD any day.

Reply to
Steve