FYI: Trans problem and Fix!

I have a 94 GC with 3.3l and 4 speed automatic. The trans was rebuilt a little under 2 years ago.

A couple of days ago, it jumped into limp mode while my wife was driving.

I bit the bullet and took it to the best shop I knew of. They read the computer at no charge! "Code 41" from the trans computer. They said I would have to leave the van for further diagnostics. Possibles were 1) Solenoid Pack, 2) Sensor, 3) wiring.

After further diagnostics, it turned out to be the solenoid pack. They were unsure if I would need a new computer or not, but since the new pack has been installed, and everything reset, the van is shifting smoothly and running well again!

Cost: $95 for labour, $205 for parts + taxes = $342 CDN$

This included dropping the pan for an inspection, and the replacement of the trans oil and filter with ATF +4. I know some people dont like it for my vintage tranny, prefering ATF +3, but I figure it has gotta be better then the Dexron III with lubguard that was in there from the rebuilders! :(

A question though...

From reading here, I did ask the trans shop about flashing the latest firmware into the computer. They said that this is no longer done, and that computers are simply replaced. My retort was "How lucrative". Lets fact it, it only should take less than 30 min to flash an old computer, but a new one is balparked at $400 - 500!

Anyonw know if the old computers are still flashable? It looks like mine has fins on the side. What do dealers charge for this? And should I just not bother on the principle of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"???

Thanks

Reply to
NewMan

The OBCs still can be flashed and up dated, probably why the shop does not do this is that the equipment is high priced and then add in each type of manufacturers specific model well it adds up. It is easier to look up the VIN and buy the correct OBC for the particular make and model and more cost affective for the shop.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I don't have experience with the GC, but based on my experience with my '99 Concorde, DC dealers charge anywhere from $50 to $140 for a reflash depending on their greediness/mood that day.

Bill Putney

Any finned computer is flashable, and in fact the last rebuild 2 years ago they probably flashed or replaced it.

As far as I know Chrysler stopped releasing firmware updates for the pre-95 computers that are flashable. (ie: the finned computers) If your old trans computer had a sticker on the side indicating it had been flashed, or had part# 4686606 on a sticker on the bottom, it IS already at the latest firmware. That version I think came out in '95 or '96. The original '94's I think a lot of them shipped with flashable computers with older firmware in them, so your original could either have been replaced or flashed.

The trans shop can get the part # of the trans computer with the same scan tool they used to get the code, if it's 4686606 then it's at the current firmware for your make and model.

Well, couple tidbits of info here.

First, the wrecking yards are full of these computers, flashed to part#

4686606, that can be had for $10-20, you just get one that was out of a '95 GC with a 3.3L and it will probably already have the right pinion factor in it.

Second, all the "refurb" companies do is give the mechanics a $10 core charge on the old computer, clean it, and flash it, then sell them for $150-$200. It's a racket. Since most independent mechanics don't know anything about these computers they are just as much a victim.

Thrid, any new or remanufactured trans computer has to have a pinion factor configured into it. To do this requires a Chrysler DRB scantool. If your trans shop is getting them rebuilt because they don't have the DRB tool to flash them, then they don't have the tool needed to set the pinion factor. I strongly suspect a lot of trans shops that replace these computers simply get aftermarket ones at a discounted price from their parts suppliers ($150 or so), then drive the vehicle to a Dodge or Chrysler dealership and pay them to set the pinion factor, then charge you a markup on that.

You should always get these trans computers updated to the latest firmware when you do work on these. But, that is more applicable to the '96 or later which use a different computer, as Chrysler is still using them in production, and still tinkering with them.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to