Transmission

I have a 98 plymouth van. Lately when the car is cold the trans would not shift into 3rd until the engine would warm up, then it worked fine. Yesterday I went hunting and had to go through about 6 inches of snow in second gear to get their. When I came out of the woods the trans wouldn't work in any gear. Can a trans die in every gear or is this a linkage problem???

Reply to
shardon

Of course it can die in every gear. Transmissions have several individual components that have to work before you can move. The pump is one, but there are lots more.

Reply to
Joe

I think what you mean is the trans is not shifting???

So it is stuck in second gear all the time???

If so, then you likely have the 4-speed automatic, and this is known as "limp mode".

Get your van to a competant trans shop, and have them read the codes in the transmission computer (this is NOT the codes from the engine computer!).

This recently happened to me, and my solenoid pack was bad. That repair was WAY cheaper than rebuilding the entire trans, but you wont know what is up until the codes are read, and proper diagnostics have been done!

Good luck.

Reply to
NewMan