96 T&C in "limp home" mode. Does it need a lot or a little?

I just drove about 40 miles in 2nd gear. Before that it would go into 3rd but after I stopped for gas, it wouldn't, only 1st-2nd.

I know it's a long shot..but does anyone have any idea if this is a sensor or a complete trans re-build? There are 2 trans places in this town (Florence SC) who say they will put it on a computer tomorrow. But I'd like to be able to talk sensibly with them. I have the shop manual.

By the way, recently, when I step on or released the gas pedal, the speedo needle goes crazy for an instant..goes up and back. Like there is a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor (if there is on on this car) I'm just wondering if that sensor could be causing the trans problem?

TIA John

Reply to
Fieronut

Could be as simple as a bad output sensor. The shop should be able to attach a scan tool and check for any stored codes. Since you have a

1996, I believe that there have been a few firmware upgrades. You will probably want to make sure you have the current software.

When was the last time that the fluid and filter were changed?

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

I agree with that - the output sensor being bad would cause limp mode (2nd gear only) *and* no speedometer reading. And they often are intermittent when failed. Sounds like what you are experienceing (but no guarantees).

Bill Putney

The guy replaced the output sensor and that cured the speedo problem but it still would not go into 3rd gear, so he feels it needs a clutch pack, whatever that is. Before the present problem, it seemed to me that the

4th gear clutch was slipping a little also, so he will also put in a convertor. All in all, about $1400. I guess for a 200k mile car, it's not bad. Just wish it hadn't happenend NOW...but then, it NEVER happens conveniently, does it?

Thanx guys, for the info. At least he knew I was not as dumb as I look.

John

Reply to
Fieronut

Thanx, guys. The guy did replace the sensor and that did fix the speedo problem but it still would not go into 3rd gear. He says it needs a clutch pack, whatever that is. I also had a problem with the 4th gear clutch slipping, so they will also replace the convertor. All in all, about $1400, assuming they find nothing else after it's apart.

I appreciate the help you guys gave me. At least when I talked with him, I didn't sound as dumb as I look!

John

Reply to
Fieronut

Yeah, the Solenoid pack seems to be a week spot in these transmissions.

In my 1994 GC on boxing bay last year it went into limp mode! Since my trans had been rebuilt within the last 2 years I was a bit aprehensive. Turns out it was the Solenoid pack. $250 and I was back on the road. :)

Funny thing, it had been exhibiting the thump when shifting to low gear rolling to a stop quite frequently. After the Solenoid Pack was replaced, shifted like spanking new!

Fast forward to my 2002 GC. When I purchased it, there was what appeared like oil leaks a plenty. But I purchased a warranty, and it was all covered. I took it in, and they put a UV tracer in the engine oil. No leaks??? So they put UV tracer into the TRANS FLIUD - Holy Hanna, the Solenoid pack was PUKEING oil everywhere - literally.

They replaced the solenoid pack - voila! No more leaks! And - you guessed it - it was ocassionally thumping into first gear when rolling to a stop. After the replacement of the Solenoid Pack - smooth as silk, shifts like new!

Moral of the story, if you start to have that thump problem, first get the trans fluid and filter changed (using ATF +4). If that does not fix the problem, then have the solenoid pack replaced. On these tranmissions the solenoid pack is replaced from the OUTSIDE - so no need to crack the trans to do it.

My van was a lease return, and one of the complaints was a thumping noise. The dealer had replaced the sway bar bushings, and the links - which solved most of the problem - but not all. I bet the previous owner thought the trans was going to fail and dumped it like a hot potato! His loss, my gain!

I am glad that I have so much experience with these vans now. I like them. They are just a little different, but >The guy replaced the output sensor and that cured the speedo problem but it

Reply to
NewMan