gearbox trouble

hi all i have a 1997 p registered chrysler voyager 3.3le auto. Up untill recently it was running fine untill last week i went to reverse off the drive when put in gear it would not move it will still go in all the gears as normal but not go !!!.Also it seems as though there is a cooling issue it seems fine for about 20 mins or so then gets hot and seems as if there is steam coming out of the coolant bottle.Any advice would be great am i looking at a expensive repair bill ?, thanks tim

Reply to
timnjue

Tim - I will start by asking the obvious: Is the transmission fluid up to the proper level? (If not, then fill to proper level, see if that fixes that problem, then look for leaks.)

For your overheating - could be several things: Is coolant bottle cracked (not sure about that vehicle, but on some Chrysler vehicles, the plastic reservoir is actually under coolant system pressure, and the bottles sometimes crack)? Does pressure cap need replacing - they do go bad and the system won't hold pressure and will loose coolant and overheat. Are the engine cooling fans working properly (they also can go bad)?

Other possibilities: bad thermostat, head gasket problem. There are probably a host of other things I have forgotten to suggest checking - maybe others can post those.

Reply to
Bill Putney

I agree with Bill checking the fluid first for the transmission. Has the fluid and filter even been changed? If so, they should have used the proper ATF+3 fluid, which has since been replaced with ATF+4.

If you continue to have problems, I would suggest taking it to a shop that can scan the transmission for trouble codes. I would hope that there are places in the UK that can do that.

These transmission had several problems in the early days, but most of them were fixed by this time. More information about the transmissions, and repairs is available at

-KM

Reply to
KirkM

ive just had the car looked at and it seems the gear box oil is getting mixed up with the water from the radiator because the radiator is busted is there a cheap radiator for this vehicle and are the cooling fans seperate to the rad thanks tim

Reply to
timnjue