Help - Information on Chrysler Valiant Signet

I have a friends who is currently restoring a Chrysler Valiant Signet, we believe that it is of a 1960's origin and know that it was imported into the UK from South Africa around 10 years ago. From what I have found google'ing it is a rare car, but any particular useful information is hard to find. I would appreciate any information that you could give on this particular car. The main reason for this post is that the owner needs to register this car with the DVLA and needs evidence to prove the modal year.

All feedback appreciated.

Jon

For pictures see...

Jon Curtis

That is a 1965 Canadian-built Valiant Signet 200. It is based on the US

1965 Dodge Dart GT model, but with RHD and (as with all '65 Canadian-built RHD Valiants) the US 1965 Plymouth Valiant instrument cluster. The Windsor, Ontario, Canada plant was the source for all RHD Chrysler Corp. vehicles built in North America. The car has either a 2.8 litre or 3.7 litre engine -- the engine pictures are not sufficiently clear to say which, since both engines are of the same design and they differ externally only by a 25mm-higher block deck. This particular car has been retrofitted with the 2bbl induction system first offered in South Africa in 1967 for better power and driveability; originally it would have had a single-throat carburettor. The starter motor, if examined carefully, will be found to bear a tag stating "AUTO-LITE SARNIA CANADA MDT6017". This starter was used only on Canadian-built Valiants from 1963 through 1966. The distributor, unless it has been replaced, is an "Auto-Lite" (Prestolite) IBR-4203G -- again, a piece used only in the construction of Canadian-built Valiants.

Having owned a 1965 Canadian-built Valiant (though mine was a Canadian-market car with LHD), I have a great deal of information on your friend's car.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

What other info do you have Stern? Anything would be appreciated especially photographs etc. If you prefer you could email me - jonc(at)2530.karoo.co.uk

Reply to
Jon Curtis

Factory Service Manual, etc. Let's take it to e-mail.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Whats you're Email Address matey?

Reply to
Jon Curtis

I've sent you two e-mails so far with no response. Guess you'd better try. Use 318 "at" torque "dot" net

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Must be some E-mail problems, do you want to chat on MSN Messenger. My add; snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Jon Curtis

That must make for tight working space on the right side of the engine with the steering column there.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson